streets and trips

Driveguy 207

Expert Expediter
I have been using Microsoft Streets And Trips for about 8 months
with two different companies and have been very happy with it. I type in the addresses and hit the" get directions box" and Im always pretty close to the to the loaded miles that Im given by dispatch. If Im over by to much, I change the route from quickest to shortest on the segments tab and that takes care of it. Anyhow the last trip I had I was over by about 40 miles on a 142 mile trip. I checked the routing on my Qualcom and it routed me on secondary roads through alot of small towns. I came close to not delivering by my protect time. has this happened to anyone else?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I checked the routing on
>my Qualcom and it routed me on secondary roads through alot
>of small towns. I came close to not delivering by my protect
>time. has this happened to anyone else?

Yes this happens all the time.I learned the hard way,just like you did.QC had me running completly thru streets of Hamilton On.Must have hit 50 traffic lights.Since I have learned to use the old gray matter to modify the route when necessary.

I have used Delorme,MS Streets,and Rand Mcnally.All leave something to be desired.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
With M/S S&T you can adjust the preferences on the "preferred routes" setting to eliminate the secondary roads whenever appropriate. Sometimes in reality the shortest route is not best route, as we all know. For the money, I think S&T is the best software available.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Well, as I have said for months, MIcrosoft S&T is by far the best I have used. I wish I had never bought CoPilot Truck. In my opinion it does not come close to MS&T.

If anyone wants a good deal on CoPilot Truck let me know. I have no reason to keep it as MS&T has always worked for me and still works for me. It simply out performs COPT by far.
Raceman
OTR O/O

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
>as MS&T has always worked for me
>
>Raceman
>OTR O/O

Raceman:

I'm glad something is finally working for you.

:+ :+

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I am guessing that is a shot at the fact my dumb A## driver drilled a hole in my roof. If not, then no I drilled no holes in it.

OldProf, things are going great since I went back to being a driver and gave up on expecting others to do a good job and take care of my equipment.

WoW! How nice it is to sleep at night without waiting or wondering what was is next.

Raceman
OTR O/O

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
My carrier will provide routing using PC miler but it's just zip code to zip code and for some reason certain customers won't allow PC miler routing to be faxed with the BOL . I don't carry a computer in the truck . Last week I used the Rand McNally routing at Flying J rather than pay to have PC Miler faxed . It gave a shorter route from MD to Albany GA but I was surprised the route brought me to a 13'4" bridge on a 2 lane not even close to an intersection - not a problem for me but skid marks and dents in the bridge show it was an unpleasant surprise for a few drivers . I also find Yahoo maps to be a good free source for routing .

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Does MS/ST have truck routing? I have a Magellan and Also a Delorme for my laptop, but niether one can route me for a Straight Truck. Has been a problem from the get go. Butch :D :D :D

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Does MS/ST have truck routing? I have a Magellan and Also a
>Delorme for my laptop, but niether one can route me for a
>Straight Truck. Has been a problem from the get go. Butch :D
>:D :D
NO

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
I have a laptop with an internet card, when I'm close to my stop or lost, I go online and go to the "MAP QUEST" website. It always shows me right were I need to be. I believe FECC uses Map Quest also.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
Another great thing about MS&T is the show what's nearby. This is a great feature when your broke down or when the cosignee closed and you need to find a place to sit for a few hours.Also if you type in the name of a large corp. such as Ford it will list all the plants and their locations. This feature has helped me get loads in unusual areas.Engeneering and manufacturing are always shipping parts back and forth to each other so I'd go sit as close to these places as possible and wait.Also suppliers try to stay close to one or two plants but ship to all the north american plants.
Thanks