Startup: Transfix - Have You Heard of It? Thoughts?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I read an interesting article about a startup company called Transfix that I hadn't heard of before. It had some interesting implications, but I know they are one of several companies trying to get into the space of creating a digital marketplace for freight movement.

How the Trucking Industry Could Be Vastly More Efficient - CityLab

I was curious what the thoughts were about this type of company / app / marketplace?[/QUOTE

apps sure make my life easier. when I set up sameday drivers I subscribed to
uDrove® | Maximum Return pro level. it tracks my ifta does log books expenses and document scanning all from the smart phone.and it allows customer tracking of the units once the load is assigned. saved me a bunch of overhead and useless phone calls.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
also I don't know that I agree with the maps cause the closet load is not always your best option.
it really depends on the the profit per day not miles driven.I would rather deadhead 300 miles for a load that was going to generate 1000 profit per day of travel than pick up a load even at the same shipper I am sitting at for a reduced rate. the closet load does not mean its the best choice.

JSudlow

Rookie Expediter
This system was created as if all truck drivers are chess pieces (pawns at that) and can be maneuvered (forced dispatch!) at will.

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter
also I don't know that I agree with the maps cause the closet load is not always your best option.
it really depends on the the profit per day not miles driven.I would rather deadhead 300 miles for a load that was going to generate 1000 profit per day of travel than pick up a load even at the same shipper I am sitting at for a reduced rate. the closet load does not mean its the best choice.

That was the insight I was curious about. This company takes the approach of trucks as a commodity and not as a service. It isn't advantageous for the carrier or the shipper necessarily just because it is closer. It is definitely more efficient for the highways, environment and time.

If everyone bought all their groceries from Walmart it would probably reduce road congestion, environmental impact and time as well considering a Walmart is most likely closer to customers than specialty stores providing a some what similar product offering. You can get clothes, household supplies, sporting equipment and food there instead of going to Old Navy, Target, Sports Authority and Whole Foods. Unfortunately that isn't how the industry works.

It's easy to think of trucks as a commodity instead of a service until you become involved in the transportation world. Then you start to understand how service driven it is from on-time delivery, safety, payment, communication, efficiency and product condition.

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter
This system was created as if all truck drivers are chess pieces (pawns at that) and can be maneuvered (forced dispatch!) at will.

Carriers are people too! :p

I completely agree the economics of this model do not actually align with economics / incentives of your business, which is a problem.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This app seems to imply that all freight is available to all companies at the same time. Loads come up at different times and companies have specific customers that they wouldn't want to let another company in at or in many cases the shipper wants a specific company to handle the movement. I think the developers believe that the transportation industry is setup like a commune. There are some similarities at times but if a company is brokering a load it isn't being done for the betterment of the industry.