Sprinter Smoking

ChopChop

Expert Expediter
I need some help here. I have an 05 Sprinter 3 mo. old just turned 36,000 miles. It has run well, Dodge replaced one heat sensor at 20,000 other than that problem free. At 30,000 it started smoking after i've idled for a over a couple of hours, a lattle smoke at an idle, fills the expressway lane behind me at highway speed for a mile or so then the condition clears up. No loss of power or other problems. Dodge tells me this is normal. I do not have the high idle option but do idle up with an idle stick. This thing smokes so much I'm sure I'll be pulled over on it one day, anyone else have this condition,? Any thoughts?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It sounds like the dealer is full of s***

Go back to the dealer and have the service manager take a ride with you to show them. Make sure you can repeat the problem and not waste their time.

Don’t let the dumb a** mechanic take it out, they will always say there is nothing wrong with it.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is normal for a diesel after extended idleing. I have a powerstroke and see this all the time. Just watch the trucks leave a truckstop in the morning and you see a lot of it.

talkinghorse43

Expert Expediter
I had a similar problem with my '02 model. It smoked at idle and ran a little rough at idle, but not under power (I don't idle for extended periods). Don't remember about excessive smoke on acceleration. Anyway, FL techs found that #5 injector was defective. Was replaced and cured my problem.

Maybe you have an injector that leaks a little, wets the cylinder/piston after long idle, and takes a while to dry out the cylinder/piston when you get going again?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
my dealer here in hampton va said don't idle the engine
as it is not made to idle it
also if you are in va , it is a no idle state and driver, owner of truck and site it is on can be fine for idling more than 5 mins

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most states that have no idle laws, N.Y. for instance, allow it when the temperature is very low or high. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If it's white smoke coming out it is unburned diesel fuel that has built up in your cylinders. This is common when a diesel engine idles excessively. It usually clears up after a few miles when everything heats up. Now black smoke is serious,could be bad injectors,bad filters, bad fuel and so on.

ChopChop

Expert Expediter
Thanks Guys
This is very helpful. The van is currently sitting at the dealer with 36,245 miles on it. I refused to pick it up until we come to some sort of resolution to my issue. The smoke is in fact black. As far as not idling the van, thats what the dealer suggested. I told him I'm an expediter and a van that will not idle is of no value to me. I inquired before the purchace with several service people at the different dealerships and was never advised that the van can't be idled.
I've got a great service manager. He wants in the worst way to help me out and is doing everything he can. When they told me this condition was normal, my response is simply OK, what was wrong with the unit for the first 33,000 miles when the condition did not exist? Something has changed in the last 3,000 miles. I did change the fuel filter when the condition first started.
Thanks again for all the help you guys are the best!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I to have a 2005 and the white smoke, after some research...
It normally idles around 750-800rpm...most idle around 1000 You have to increase the idle while sitting for extended times ALSO when the sprinter idles the temp drops from about 180 down to 100...therefore increasing the idle will also increase the temp giving you more cab heat. The increased idle will help clear out the egr from soot.

ChopChop

Expert Expediter
Thanks...... forgot to mention I do not have the idle up option, but do use an "idle stick" I keep rpms up to 1000. Dealer tells me the avaiable idle up option will idle it closer to 2000 rpms

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
yepp my sprinter does it also after ideling a long time...once had a loss of power and refered to the book... turn ignition on pos 2 for at least 30 seconds then turn to off position, then start vehicle....that bleeds the fuel system if it loses power... i had to do that restart process 3 times, however my van was at deer camp, we used the invertor for electric power so the vehicle was on and off idle for about 5 days...of course it was running only to recharge the batteries.....if it smokes after prolonged idling, for a mile or so and cleans up thats normal for a sprinter,, ive talked to many drivers and all of theres do it also...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>however my van was at deer camp, we used the
>invertor for electric power

Deer Camp?! Holy wah, I haven’t heard that used in ages.

you’s have a deer camp like da one in “Escanaba in da Moonlight†eh?

LOL

huntn1

Expert Expediter
i saw an add for a sprinter for sale, it had a blown engine, i think it had only around 180,000 miles. i thought i saw the add on here, but it has been awile. how about some mileage reports from the sprinter owners and cost for repairs so far.

talkinghorse43

Expert Expediter
Just 58.5k miles on '02 140" wb passenger to date. Had issues under warranty - most serious was a bad injector. Only got 40k miles out of original rear shocks. Looks like 65k miles out of the original 16" tires. Tranny pan gasket started to leak at 55k miles, had that repaired and tranny service done early (should be at 80k miles). Original brake pads and rotors still look good. Overall (all miles/all fuel) 22.5 mpg. 15k miles between oil/filter changes. 30k miles between fuel filter changes.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
2005 sho bought 07-june-05 62000 miles broken headlight bulb last week traveling on pennsyvania turnpike.. hit a pot hole the size of a pick-up truck it seems......14.00 off the self help rack at auto dealer...thats it for repairs

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok peeps I spent an hour or so grilling the Sprinter tech about the little things like ..changing oil, air filter, water filter.
Instead of an oil sending unit it has an OIL QUALITY SENSOR it measures driving habits (city or highway) soot and viscosity theres a mileage counter on the dash that measures backwards from 10,000 based on driving IE: I drove 800 miles all highway so it dinged off only about 500 miles from counter! And it uses synthetic oil only!
Water filter he showed me how to change it
Air filter same thing..told me NOT to let them fill up or it will send the computer into a major fault and I won't be able to get over 20mph!
Now I know some of the vehcles tricks I feel alot more confident out on the road...It's worth the time and money to know all that ya can about the truck your driving. Don't do that guy thing and not ask questions.
oh yeah about that egr problem...the 2005's should be all cleared up but theres 2003's and 4's around that haven't got the new one installed yet...There is a recall on them which makes it free!
The tech did AGREE about using the idle stick to bring up the rpm's (1000)while iding for extended periods of time.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I have an 05 that's 6 mo old. Got over 30k mi on it sofar. I don't have this smoke problem yet and have idled for awhile at times. So if it's white smoke ok for a short time once you get going, but if it takes awhile to clear up definitely fixit. So far I only have done oil changes and a lot of light bulbs.
Re oil, DC recommends using synthetic but you can use 15-40 regular stuff. Just you have to change it more often (6000 mi rather than 10k). With my GM 3500 diesel I just changed the oil every 2 weeks and didn't even look at mileage. Got over 500k on the engine and trans, still running. Sprinter I look at mileage more for changes.
Rob Fis