shifting, enjoy, Mack B model

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

No, I'm not a 18 wheeler pilot, but I do have some time behind the wheel of an ancient cabover and my son once owned a Kw900 and that tractor really will spoil you. Took me about 3 weeks to get use to all that high and low stuff and that electric switch, but I finally did it. I drove thru Wy on that kw900 trip and that was fun, but did not pursue the lifestyle after 4 or 5 months out west.

So that said, that Mack B appears to be a can of worms, maybe someone in here drove one or maybe your dad or a friend let you drive, your remarks would be great to hear on the Mack B.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great video Skyraider! I cut my teeth and a few transmission teeth on Mack two stickers. I took my class A road test in a 1957 single axle B model Mack, with a 13 speed triplex, pulling a 40' flat. I was two years older than that truck! At the time I was doing regional household goods moves with another driver in a B model, but with a 10 speed duplex. He suggested I go with the triplex for my road test because it was easier to shift, especially in town. The duplex required a compound shift every other shift.

The B model in the video has a triplex transmission, either a 13 speed or 15 speed. The only difference between the two is that with the 13 you go from 4th high directly to 5th on the main box, no splitting 5th gear. The stick closet to the driver is the 3 speed auxiliary box and the other is the 5 speed main gear box. You start out in first on the main box and split each gear with the 3 speed auxiliary. The tricky part comes when you make a compound shift. A compound shift requires shifting the main box to the next gear and then shifting the aux. box back to low without losing too much engine speed. If you miss the shift, and this can happen on a hill, its a mad scramble to get the main box back to the original gear and the aux. back to where you can pick it up again.

The 10 speed duplex is set up with the stick for the 5 speed main box closest to the driver and the 2 speed auxiliary stick on the outside. As mentioned, the duplex requires a compound shift every other shift making it slightly more difficult to shift for a rookie.

I'd give my left...ah, I'd easily pay $100 to take a quick spin in a B model with two sticks or an F, R or U model. I think I could still shift one, kinda like riding a bike. It sure would be fun.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Great video Skyraider! I cut my teeth and a few transmission teeth on Mack two stickers. I took my class A road test in a 1957 single axle B model Mack, with a 13 speed triplex, pulling a 40' flat. I was two years older than that truck! At the time I was doing regional household goods moves with another driver in a B model, but with a 10 speed duplex. He suggested I go with the triplex for my road test because it was easier to shift, especially in town. The duplex required a compound shift every other shift.

The B model in the video has a triplex transmission, either a 13 speed or 15 speed. The only difference between the two is that with the 13 you go from 4th high directly to 5th on the main box, no splitting 5th gear. The stick closet to the driver is the 3 speed auxiliary box and the other is the 5 speed main gear box. You start out in first on the main box and split each gear with the 3 speed auxiliary. The tricky part comes when you make a compound shift. A compound shift requires shifting the main box to the next gear and then shifting the aux. box back to low without losing too much engine speed. If you miss the shift, and this can happen on a hill, its a mad scramble to get the main box back to the original gear and the aux. back to where you can pick it up again.

The 10 speed duplex is set up with the stick for the 5 speed main box closest to the driver and the 2 speed auxiliary stick on the outside. As mentioned, the duplex requires a compound shift every other shift making it slightly more difficult to shift for a rookie.

I'd give my left...ah, I'd easily pay $100 to take a quick spin in a B model with two sticks or an F, R or U model. I think I could still shift one, kinda like riding a bike. It sure would be fun.

As soon as my brain clears with explanation of that gear box, I will try reading that again, but would really like to have met the person that figured all that out to begin with, mercy, one needs a Goody headache powder to get it,lol...........but hey, you were the only one I guess in here that drove one,,, you and I must be about 34 or 35 by now, rite????????????

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
I cut my teeth driving a B Model Mack with a tri-plex tranny, some say they wish for the good old day, not me,no AC, no power steering , sleeping over the steering wheel, but there are things I miss