Shelby Cobra

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We spent time this weekend with one of Mrs. Layoutshooter's cousins and her husband. He took me downstairs to his garage to see his "toys" OH MY!! There sat a fully from the ground up restored 1969 Shelby Cobra Mustang GT350!! One of only 1038 ever built. It was PERFECT!!! It was GulfStream blue, the original color. ALL of the body was still original except for the left front fender. It had a Windsor 351 under the hood. Then, to top it all off, ALL of the serial numbers MATCHED!!! He had done the restoration himself over 3 years. He also had a Shelby reproduction that he did himself. A 1970 Mustang GT350. It was dark blue with a white convertible top. The same Windsor 351 but highly modified and MUCH "hotter" the the other car. This guy does beautiful work. A real artist.

Topcat

Seasoned Expediter
A Shelby Cobra,now that is sweet. My brother is restoring a 69 Dodge Charger with a 440 magnum engine.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was great to see up close AND with the personal "tour" so to speak. He has been able to get MOST of the history of the car, there is a 3 year time frame that he cannot find out where it was or who owned it. This car even has a "murder" attached to it!! It is in the Shelby Register as well. There is a 3rd Mustang sitting out in his shop that he is working on now. A '69 GT350, red with a white convertible top. This guy is GOOD!! Hope your brother's work comes out well.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I did NOT have a camera with me!! :( Had I known that those cars were there I would have dug mine out of the truck. They were a real sight to see!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I know, 3 slaps on the wrist. He would NOT have taken them out today to get good pictures anyway, it was raining. He seldom drives the Shelby anymore, it has become worth SO much money that he is concerned about wrecks etc. To make it better, he only paid $2800 bucks for that car in 1982!! He bought it off of a used car lot.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Wow! I agreee Leo...PICTURES!! I truly appreciate the old muscle cars. Personally, I would drive them EVERYWHERE!!!! I never could understand why someone with a treasure like that would park it! Cars are meant to be driven! LOL!

Just my opinion!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will see if I can get some pictures. I will have Mrs. Layoutshooter email her cousin to ask her hubby to take some for you guys. Better yet, we just need another load down that way!!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Umm maybe thats why it's nice to have one of those cameras in the phone. I know you just want the phone, but ( to quote another member ) I'm just saying....

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
O.K. You all want pictures of a Shelby Mustang . Champion Ford in Owensboro , KY is a Ford Performance Dealer . They sell Shelbys , Saleens , Roushes , and GT500's . Last month they had a Mustang show and this was among the cars shown .

Attachments

• Mustang show 233.jpg
    Mustang show 233.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 12

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
My first two cars: 69 Camaro, 68 Camaro. Nothing fancy about either of them, but I really do wish I had them now $$$$$

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK!! Here we go. Finally got some pics of those Mustangs. The greenish looking one is the original Shelby Cobra and the blue and white one is his homemade replica. It is a shame that he is NOT as good with a camera as he is on body work. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• DSC01685[1].JPG
    DSC01685[1].JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01675[1].JPG
    DSC01675[1].JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01674[1].JPG
    DSC01674[1].JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01670[1].JPG
    DSC01670[1].JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01673[1].JPG
    DSC01673[1].JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 3

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, the camera work won't be winning any awards but they are nice cars. I like the coupe especially.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You should see them in person, like up close. His work is TOP NOTCH!! As good or BETTER than the cars on display at the Henry Ford Museum!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout,
I stand by this term and it got me into a lot of trouble with the hot-rod crowd here

It takes a lot more skill to restore a car than to hot rod it. Just because you have 300 hours into the body means nothing unless you actually worked the metal like it is supposed to be worked, not filled with bondo and fiberglass to cover up your mistakes and call it art.

You can imagine the reaction to that comment but to my surprise one person among the group backed it - he had something to do with that green car.

baracade

Seasoned Expediter
nj8f1125_std_thm.jpg
My 1965 Shelby GT 350
Had to sell in 2006 after employer downsized the company.

Attachments

• nj8f1125_std_thm.jpg
    nj8f1125_std_thm.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 4

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Layout,
I stand by this term and it got me into a lot of trouble with the hot-rod crowd here

It takes a lot more skill to restore a car than to hot rod it. Just because you have 300 hours into the body means nothing unless you actually worked the metal like it is supposed to be worked, not filled with bondo and fiberglass to cover up your mistakes and call it art.

You can imagine the reaction to that comment but to my surprise one person among the group backed it - he had something to do with that green car.

You KNOW that Cobra? All the metal is original on that care EXCEPT the right front fender which was wrecked.