Same cost per mile

Kid_7

Expert Expediter
I'm a newbie and wanted to know if running a D-unit size truck for 500mile trips, as a single driver, would have the same cost per mile if I ran the same truck with a team for 2/3k trips. Would someone explain the differences, if any?

I realize the cost per mile should stay the same but driving long distance highway should reduce my cost per mile.

Thanks

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not neccesarily,the more miles you drive the more maintenace costs you incur. You can base CPM on a yearly average of 50,000 miles or 100,000 miles.Your fixed maintenace costs will double,instead of 5 PM's you will need 10. Other maintenace costs such as tires will be greater for a team operation vs single. But on the other side the additional revenue you will earn as a team should negate additonal maintenace costs.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
As a rule of thumb, a team in a typically operated D truck, leased to a nationwide expedite carrier, can expect to gross 2/3 more money to the truck than a solo in the same truck.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As you increase miles your fixed cpm go down and your variable cpm go up. Without actual numbers for the unit in question the change can't be absolutely determined but the probability is that gradually increasing miles will result in a gradually lowering cpm.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.