running down south!?

baracade

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I have sold the farm and I have been seriously studying the expediting business for several months. Since we live in east Texas, how much freight moves thru the south? (looking at buying a D truck)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I live in the Houston area. There isn't that much freight and if you are talking Tyler, Jasper etc. east Texas there's virtually none. You can/will get jobs into and/or out of Dallas and once in a great while even Tyler etc. but don't plan on a lot of it. You'll probably get freight going to Laredo most often. If the planets align right you'll get a job out of Laredo that your company can swap onto another truck in Dallas and you'll just have from there to home on your own dime. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

baracade

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for the info, but did not mean to imply that i wanted to run only in Texas. no problem running coast to coast, just wanted to know @ the southern routes. Question, with the new toyota plant starting up in San Antonio, will that mean more freight in that area? I have a lot more questions, but i am finding a lot of the answers by reading the forums here. thanks again!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That new plant will help some carriers and be almost invisible to others. As far as staying below the Mason-Dixon that's not too feasible. Expediting goes everywhere. You can refuse loads to anywhere you don't want to run but that will definitely limit you. With a few exceptions you should plan to run from MI to the Carolinas and everywhere in between.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Texas has alot of freight but only if you are a team. We are usually pre-dispatched regardless of the area except for Dallas. That seems like a day wait for whatever reason. Other areas haven't been a problem.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator