Question about issues

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK here are two questions, please stick to answer that have to do with our profession.

1 – If you had 15 minutes with your US senator, what issues would you want them to know about?

2 – If you had 15 minutes with your US representative, what issues would you want them to know about?

Thank you

tiredofsittn

Expert Expediter
ha , they are in a total different world than you and i. just look how they vote on issues.just like these dispathers and fleet owners. my hats off for the ones who are in the trenches every day dealing with the junk, junk rates, junk attitudes at the shipper and cons., junk fuel prices , junk laws, junk roads.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>ha , they are in a total different world than you and i.
>just look how they vote on issues.just like these dispathers
>and fleet owners. my hats off for the ones who are in the
>trenches every day dealing with the junk, junk rates, junk
>attitudes at the shipper and cons., junk fuel prices , junk
>laws, junk roads.

This has nothing to do with what they think or what world they live in. This has to do with you and everyone else.

The reason for the thread is to see what you would say if you were given 15 minutes about our profession and the problems we are facing. Example is HOS and Fuel prices but insurance, no laws protecting contractors, etc..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Properly classifying our profession as skilled labor.

Setting up a minimum national standard for both written and driving skill that must be met and maintained for licensing.

Mandating 100% of fuel surcharge be paid to the fuel purchaser.

Mandating 100% of any labor accessorials be paid to the party performing the labor. In other words, when the carrier says you get 62% of the tariff plus fsc they can't give you only 62% of any hand load/unload charges, unless they are going to teleport to the dock and do 38% of the labor.

Mandating detention must be paid starting no longer than 30 minutes past the scheduled load/unload time.

Altering the current HOS sleeper rule to extend the 14 hour clock after 4 hours of sleeper berth time instead of 8.

Mandating a national exemption to idling laws for APU units.

There are probably other things but those are the ones that come quickly to mind. Good topic.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Why each state is given its own budget for road repairs and why are interstates not handled fairly from coast to coast.

The over regulation on our industry only the Neuclear Industry has more regulations and why are bus drivers in a different class than us?

10 hours in a sleeper should be my choice not forced 8 hours is more than ample, I do not have to go home and mow the grass help with Amy's home work etc.. when I am out here my only job is to drive and I believe I can do as good as the Canadians and there more fair HOS rules than ours. We are professionals 13 driving one off for business purpose and 8 in the sleeper, this keeps on a 24 hour schedule not this 22 that keeps changing day by day.

Raise the level of professionalism in our industry, if you cannot read English since most road signs are this way than no CDL its a clear saftey issue with me.

Have all states be truck friendly in mixing cars with trucks. Example Washinton State fines 4 wheelers for cutting to short 3 car lenghts and is doing an educaitonal program to warn drivers of the dangers of trucks and cars. Let the public know the difficulties of driving these rigs safley we can ALL share the same roads.

Give us the authority to pass a class to carry weapons if we choose.

Limit the amount of Fees into one license for a truck not forced to keep up with so much paperwork and to have to show it to so many different authorities, but inforce it, why have so many MPSC, DOT etc... its to much to handle when our job is to be from Cinci to Dallas when paperwork is due in Charlotte.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd like to say that many cities & states could (and should) do a better job of identifying streets with signs that can be read before you're in the intersection, (the signs approaching an intersection are a big help in knowing which lane to be in), ensuring State Route signs aren't placed so far apart you wonder if you've missed a turn, and mandating an address (clearly visible from the street or road) on every structure, public or private.
A driver who is looking for a sign, a name, a number, whatever, is not paying full attention to the situation around him, and this is unsafe.
With all the attention focused on the distraction of cell phones, why is a cause that can be eliminated ignored?

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
1. Mandate 100% of fsc to the person who pays for the fuel. If a carrier pays a % of all revenue they are getting a automatic increase in revenue as fuel goes up. Mandate would force carriers to increase rates or watch revenues stay flat and profits go down. This would benefit all owners and drivers.
2. Make all interstate freeways FREE.
3. Make speed limits for cars and trucks the same.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Study the feasability of creating a new system/Data base of GPS coridnates for every address in the contry.Consider mandating these new addresses be as availible as zip codes.

Just imagine the EMS would be able to find you quickly,instead of running around lost.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Study the feasability of creating a new system/Data base of
>GPS coridnates for every address in the contry.Consider
>mandating these new addresses be as availible as zip codes.
>
>Just imagine the EMS would be able to find you
>quickly,instead of running around lost.

thanks everyone for their comments, keep them coming.

i would like to see addresses on buildings.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
I second the having better signage for roads.They should be opening more rest areas instead of closing them especially since there is more traffic now.I think all new industrial parks built should have a lot dedicated to overnight parking for trucks with trash cans and at least portapotties.There should be truck route signs from the exit to the industial parks.
Thanks and have a good one.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First off 15 minutes isn't even close to long enough. More rest areas, better signage, clearly marked, and well lit, too. If the States aren't willing to build more rest areas, or limit the amount of non commercial vehicles ie motorhomes, campers that are now taking up Commercial spaces, then perhaps they should look at allowing use of the on/off ramps. I also think that split speed limits are a cause of greater frustration that safety. FSC also belong to who ever buys the fuel, the list goes on, and on.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like to see Bill of Ladings standardized and simplified. Only the basic info that's needed, and worded so you know what is actually on your truck. No abbreviations. Consignee phone number and local directions from nearest interstate or major road. Early in my illustrious expediting career I went to Good Year in Collingwood,On. They give you a small novel for a BOL.

Also, the same for crossing the border either way. Procedures also standardized both ways. That would be better for everyone, particularly newbies. Well, wait a minute. I would'nt want the officers to be as pricky in Canada as on this side.

huntn1

Expert Expediter
i would like to ask them why do they vote themselves a cost of living raise every year, they ( dems + republicans) cant agree on anything except that one issue. i just read they voted a raise of 3,200.00, while cutting out student loans and increasing the rates. also they cut out alot of things for the poor.i would like a raise, fuels up, tire cost are up,tolls are up,insurance is up,food cost are up,taxes are up,but rates are down.

hdl

Expert Expediter
>i would like to ask them why do they vote themselves a cost
>of living raise every year, they ( dems + republicans) cant
>agree on anything except that one issue. i just read they
>voted a raise of 3,200.00, while cutting out student loans
>and increasing the rates. also they cut out alot of things
>for the poor.i would like a raise, fuels up, tire cost are
>up,tolls are up,insurance is up,food cost are up,taxes are
>up,but rates are down.

Just saw on TV the other day how our tax dollars paid for new fishing boats for Thai (Thailand) fishermen effected by the sunami (sp). And your tax dollars also helped to fund the Madrassas (sp) Islamic schools that helped educate those fine youngs minds that USED to fight the Russians. They be poor, right?

PS
Student loans by the feds are clearly unconstitutional.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
15 minutes seems long to me

First fire everyone in the senate and house since it always seems they are only in it for whats good for them and not their people or state and then find replacements.....or just dont vote for incumbents and or place limits on their existing tenior.

Then maybe they might take an interest in the people that placed them there.

Dukesadog