Paying your Co-driver

JCarr283

Expert Expediter
Just a quick question this time guys. But first just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the information. This is most informitive couple days I've had yet.
Ok back to my question. If I pay my Co-driver a percentage, are you refering to his cut before or after expenses? I mean a percent of the actual settlement or of what I will actually clear (or net)?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Co-driver pay is usually 20% of the gross to the truck. This is before any expenses. I believe you'd be stepping into dangerous territory if you used what you actually cleared. With using a percentage of the gross, your co-driver would always know up front how much he's making from a load.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Hawk is right on with his answer even though he will no longer answer my personal emails. He is correct with the 20% of truck income.

I have mentioned in another POST that I think it may not be a bad idea to write a deal based on a weekly pay as long as the truck does X paid miles in that week. If the truck does less or none you may have a clause that reduces that. Again this is why % works so well.

The only reason I keep bringing up this weekly pay is that I did do that with one of my drivers for a while. Now granted that SOB did walk off and leave my truck but while he was running I found this normally worked out well for us both and it eased my check writting and record keeping. This is a tough area though because it is very difficult to pick the pay when paid mileage can vary so much. If you can find the right number, I say it is a good way to go.

Raceman
OTR O/O

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Question to this topic. Miles are all wonderfull but all that acutally counts is $ would that not be easier based off of $ to the truck?

Prior to my getting into this I worked with Several large trucking companies ABF, Central Transport, AAA Cooper so on everything I ever overheard was Revenue to the Truck. Not miles just rev to truck.
The accounting for DH, costs etc.. is based from what the truck did $ not its miles as they put that in last or with expenses truck had.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Absolutely... miles are just the biggest part of it, tho. If someone drove single for me, they'd get half of everything that mileage didn't cover; except for fingerprinting loads, which they'd get 100%.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe that co-drivers' pay should be based on gross revenue to the truck MINUS any fuel surcharge. There is no need in giving up up to 20% of your fuel surcharge to anyone who is not paying for fuel.

Best Regards,
JoeS

G

So would that mean that the co-driver would get 20% of paid deadhead, detention pay, NYC premium, etc.? The gray area is some of the accessorial pay is to reimburse for tolls and other actual out of pocket expenses.

What are your thoughts on how to divide extra pay for going to Canada, New York City, etc.? A portion of this pay is for extra time and hassle, and a portion may be for the toll expense. I wouldn't want to get into the business of saying the co-driver gets 20% of New York City pay after deducting the actual cost of tolls incurred on the trip. That just seems complicated to do at the end of the week or month.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
extra pay for going
>to Canada,
Who is paying extra for Canada?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Panther pays extra for going in or coming out loaded with regards to Canada.

Davekc
owner
21 years

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
>Panther pays extra for going in or coming out loaded with
>regards to Canada.
>

HOW MUCH?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>$37.50
I hope the contractor gets all of the $37.50.

Gee if I had been with P2 I would have collected For my 9 hour visit with US Customs.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>>$37.50
>I hope the contractor gets all of the $37.50.
>
>Gee if I had been with P2 I would have collected For my 9
>hour visit with US Customs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There will be a $5.00 fine for whining!

Well, you'd be able to whine 7 1/2 times without a net loss if you wanted to. :+

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry I had not replied sooner to your question.
Having been on both sides, ie being a percentage paid co-driver and paying a percentage to a co-driver, here are my thoughts.

The co-drivers' pay should based on revenue to the truck minus fuel-surcharge. As to NY GEO pay and Canada Crossing pay, I still include it in the total revenue and split it with the co-driver. I dont look at the NY GEO pay as a money maker, I look at it as just covering expenses. Besides, it's a PITA driving in THE CITY. I refuse to be nickled and dimed to death and will not do that to my co-driver. As to the DH pay, I split it with the co-driver also. Heck, we might DH 500 miles to do a T-Val load and he would have to drive also so why not split it? It doesnt even begin to cover my fuel costs.
Having said all that, before I take a run, I look at the total picture, ie. total miles including ALL miles, total run pay, fuel surcharge amount, and lay-over options after we deliver. Based on this, I will take or refuse the load.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
JoeS