Newbie to Expediting/Option Searching??

scotland

Expert Expediter
I'm making a career change into expediting, because of cutbacks in the auto industry causing me to be laid-off twice in the past 4 years. I'm currently laid-off. I just recently applied to my first reputable expediting carrier (at this point I will keep the name confidential) to become an Owner-Operator contracting my services. The carrier thinks I will be a good candidate, however my driving record reflects differently. I have tickets from 2002 I will have to wait to clear off my driving record in 2005 before I can go forward with my plans to contract with this particular carrier. I want to explore what other options are available to me in order to get started in the industry of expediting. What better time to start now that I am laid-off and can dedicate my time to prep for my new career. I live in the major hub of metro Detroit, MI. I have a strong passion to learn and get started in my new career. Any advice on how to get started in this industry and what my options are are geatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!:)

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
> The carrier
>thinks I will be a good candidate, however my driving record
>reflects differently. I have tickets from 2002 I will have
>to wait to clear off my driving record in 2005 before I can
>go forward with my plans to contract with this particular
>carrier.first of all, welcome to the EO forums scotland.you will find a wealth of information concerning epediting in these posts and archives, and lots of members with experience to answer all of your questions.with that said,your statment concerning your driving record needs to be adressed.every carrier out there can get acess to your driving record, not just the one that you have contacted so far.other members can correct me if i am wrong, but i believe that you can only have two moving violations in a 3 year period to be eligible to drive comercially.> I want to explore what other options are available
>to me in order to get started in the industry of expediting.as of now the only options that you have are to wait until your driving record clears up,and you should wait until it is completly cleared until you attempt to drive for an expediting company. the reason being that you wont be hanging on the edge, where one ticket would put you out of work.
> I live in the
>major hub of metro Detroit, MI. you are right about detroit being a major hub,as alot of expedited freight comes out of this area and comes into the greater detroit area.like i said there's not much you can do but avoid getting anymore tickets and play the waiting game untill your driving record clears up. good luck to you. DD

scotland

Expert Expediter
Thanks DD for your honest advise! I'd much rather know the reality of my driving record associated with becoming a commercial driver, because that makes it easier for me to map out my future.

I will continue to research expediting through different sources in order to learn the courier business, and decide what will work for me.These are the preliminary goals I can accomplish while awaiting for my driving record to clear up, which will be in 2005.

Thank you again for your advise.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
scotland! Where do you live and what type of tickets did you get? Send me an email and let me know. Depending upon where you live and or what you drive, may be able to get you some trips.