New Husband/Wife Team

ferretluver

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guys! I know you experts have probably heard these questions a thousand time. I looked through several already posted threads but couldnt seem to the answer i was looking for. My husband and I just got hired for panther and we are looking to join an owner operator that pays the team 60% and we are responsible for fuel and tolls. We get 100% fuel surcharge (if someone could elaborate on that it would be great:) I am just wondering if that is a sensible offer and what exactly the FSC covers. Any other advice would also be wonderful! Thanks! :)

guido4475

Not a Member
I think if it was my decision to work for a fleet owner,I'd take the 40% and let the owner pay for the fuel.It seems so difficult for the fsc to keep up with the fuel prices.And chasing loads and idling comes out of your pocket also, so it can get expensive waiting for a load when times are slow.A lot less stress this way.I'm just sayin'

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome!
The deal you refer to is pretty standard: owner takes 40% of the line haul [mileage], you take 60%, plus 100% of the separate fuel surcharge [an amount that varies, but is supposed to bring the cost of fuel down to 1.25 per gallon]. Unlike Guido, I prefer paying for fuel, [and believe I come out ahead] because it's a cost I can control. Hopefully, you'll be in a truck with a generator, as idling is expensive, even when it's legal - which it is increasingly NOT. You'll also need to know what percentage of accessorial charges [layover, detention, deadhead] are yours - opinions vary on the subject.
Do try to clarify as many matters [hometime, acceptable reasons for declining loads] in advance, and good luck - the way freight is lately, I'm afraid you may need a spot of luck to go along with the determination to succeed.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Generally fleet owners get the 60% and drivers get the 40%. Different owners pay different things. But, the most important thing about driving for an owner is how well they maintain their truck - that is their responsibility. Some owners pay fuel and tolls, so it's OK if they keep the FSC and Tolls from the Carrier, because the FSC does not cover the entire cost of the fuel. Any driver that has to pay their own fuel but keeps the FSC is actually making less than one that lets the owner handle that end of it. Be careful that you don't go with an owner that wants you to pay the fuel but keeps the FSC - I've heard many times about owners negotiating this type of deal with unsuspecting drivers.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless you are deadheading all over the place, the 60/40 with the team getting the 60 percent, paying for fuel, and 100 percent of the fuel surcharge, will be ahead every single time. Only exception would be a truck that doesn't have a generator, or you are consistently running for under a back a mile.
There are several posts with a search that break it all down.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome to the world of ex expediting.

We have only been driving for two years,(FedexCC), under a 60/40 split where we pay tolls and fuel.
Driving for someone, I wouldnt want it any other way, unless it was 65/35 or 75/25. (dreamingly he says)

With smart running and good fuel managment you should come out 3-4% more money
at settlement time.

Also, read up on the advantages if using a fuel card at TA, it may be of interest.

Good Luck.