Loss of power

paradisecustom

Seasoned Expediter
2008 258 ALP Hino. Was coming back from a tow job with my Hino rollback and the check engine light came on. Lost power and could only go 5 mph uphill and 35 mph on the straightaway. Came back to shop and checked the codes - P0088, P2101, P2103. I took the hose off between throttle body and air charge cooler. When I shut it off, the throttle plate was still open approximately 1/4 way from the throttle body. I sprayed carburetor cleaner on, replaced the hose. It seemed to be running fine. I took it to another tow last night 8 miles away and it drove perfectly until I started back. The check engine light came back on, lost power again. If this is the throttle body and I replace it, do I have to take it to dealer to program it?

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Was it going an automatic regen at this time? It will try doing one when the DPR graph hits three bars. Low power during regen on 2008-2010 trucks is generally an airflow problem. Do a search for how to modify the ITV, make sure the throttle plate is very secure on the shaft.

paradisecustom

Seasoned Expediter
The throttle plate is tight on the shaft, but I can open and close the throttle plate very easily with my finger when the HINO is not running and it's open approximately 1/4 of the way when shut off. (Is this normal?)
Code P2101 - Intake Air Throttle sensor stuck
Code P2103 - DC Motor or Ground Short Circuit

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yes, that's normal. Check the wiring harnesses near the ITV carefully, sometimes the wires rub through and short. ITVs don't often fail electrically, so I'd expect harness issues.