HOW OWNERS CAN KEEP THEIR DRIVERS AND NOT GOT THRO

poodlenme

Expert Expediter
The biggest complaint I have heard from owners is they cannot keep drivers. Why? Because they refuse to pay them what they owe them and they do not give the drivers any benefits or rights! Everyone who drives a truck for a owner sacrifices alot! They are not home for weeks at a time. They suffer from poor loads and lack of sleep. There is not a lot of money out here for expediter drivers. We get promised big money but never see it. Unless your a married team the money is just not there! Trying to cope with uncompatible co-drivers is a strain on both drivers. The living space is small and it is really difficult to find a co-driver that is both safe and capatible. Even married couples find it difficult to co inhabit a small living space. Even though there a many difficulties people who drive expediter trucks love it, when the loads r there and the co-driver relationship is good. ALL THE OWNER OF THE TRUCK NEED TO DO IS BE HONEST AND PAY THE DRIVER WHAT HE OWES HIM/HER IN A TIMELY MATTER AND PROVIDE A SAFE TRUCK. IT SEEMS SOME OWNERS PLAY A GAME WITH DRIVERS, THEY HIRE THEM, TREAT THEM BADLY. FIRE THEM FOR QUESTIONABLE REASONS OR DONT PAY THEM AND THEY LEAVE. BECAUSE THEY QUIT, THEY DONT PAY THE DRIVERS AT ALL. AND THEN THEY GET NEW DRIVERS AND DO THE SAME THING. THIS IS NOT A HONORABLE PRACTICE. THEY WOULD FIND THEY WOULD BE ALOT BETTER OFF IF THEY WOULD MAINTAIN A GOOD LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP WITH THEIR DRIVERS. EVERYONE WOULD BENEFIT. TRUST GOES A LONG, LONG WAYS! I KNOW FUEL PRICES R THROUGH THE ROOF, AND THINGS R VERY BAD IN TRUCKING RIGHT NOW. BUT OWNERS R COMPOUNDING THEIR OWN PROBLEMS BY NOT LIVNG BY THE GOLDEN RULE! TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED!

paperback1

Expert Expediter
RE: HOW OWNERS CAN KEEP THEIR DRIVERS AND NOT GOT

Calm down!!!! Sounds like you had some bad owners, but, we're not all bad!!! I treat all my drivers very well, and have never had a single complaint about wages. I have nice safe trucks for them, pay them on time, and always accurate, and when there is an unusal problem, such as these high fuel prices, I pay for part of the fuel for them, so they CAN make money to support their family. So, don't lump ALL owners as cheats, and bad folks, we're not. I will admit there are a lot of SCUMBAG OWNERS out there, but you should know how your owner is by the time 30days pass if it's gonna work out.

poodlenme

Expert Expediter
Oh course not all owners r crooks! how do you che

Im not saying all owners r bad!!!! I worked for a year and half with a good owner and also drove for a big truck company before that. That particular owner sold his trucks and I thought all owners were kind and honest. I had 3 terrible experiences back to back. check my other messages. How do you check a owner out before you agree to drive for them ? I am shellshocked and very reluctant to drive again. 3 owners 2 companies 6 weeks out, less than $100.00 paid. That is why Im upset!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

It sounds to me like you are throwing in the towel in? Paperback gave you some good feedback. Maybe you just need to vent or you want to box someone’s ears in. My email address is below, you can send me a line or 2 or 1000 and box mine in. You ask a question. --- <Why?>
Now this is where you went OFF, and started to lose your cool. You made the statement ---!!!!! I’m going to not say any more to ya about it, I think you know you went off.
Didn’t' geo or Rich tell you or someone to go to OOIDA, in a post about owners not paying people that drive their trucks. OOIDA will help you. You can also contact the BBB and they too will help you.
In your reply to Paperback you ask how to check out a prospective owner that you may want to drive for. Here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first thing you have to do is get into the right mind set. You are a person that is in business for yourself. You are willing to provide a service to someone that needs you, and your service. Let me ask you this. If you go into a bank to buy a house or a car, does the bank check you out before they give you the house? The same applies to you giving someone your skill and knowledge of driving. You provide a service and that owner gives you money. Why in the world would anyone in business providing a service not check out the people they are getting involved with. You as a professional driver should have a contract of your own drawn up to protect yourself. If when you tell the owner he needs to sign the contract and fill out a credit app, refuses or gives you a hard time, then you know he isn't worth the time of day. At that point tell him you don’t and won’t work for him, and get on down the road.

If you do what I just told you and some A-Whole owner, (because we all know they are out there) doesn’t pay you for one of his lies, you will have something to back you up. You also have to be very careful of the wording in some of the owners contracts. Don’t sign anything right then. Tell the prospective owner that you will have your attorney (if you don’t have one, then go and get one, or have someone or some others look it over before you sign it) look it over, and tell him you too need yours signed before you can start driving for him. You should get the credit app filled out then or even do it over the phone, so you can check him out. If you do it on the phone, make sure you tell him you are asking him some questions, and writing down his answers as to pre qualify him as a good and responsible owner. Nuff said. GOOD LUCK!!!
x( x( x(

vince123

Expert Expediter

i would have to agree with paperback, he's my owner. he has helped me out a lot. ever since these fuel prices he has paid an extra 10% cost of fuel, and has paid for my insurance. once the fuel prices go down (1.55 gal, or lower) we will go back to the 60/40 split. so dont let your bad experinces get you down, there are fair and honest owners out there. i hope you have at least learned from your experience, and i hope you dont give up on expiditing.

RubberSoul

Expert Expediter

What's the best way to find an owner to work for??

I started driving tractor trailers OTR back in '99.... have since taken a job with furniture company driving straight trucks on dedicated East Coast regional runs, averaging 1500-2000 miles per week. Now I'd like to enter expediting as solo operator - driving somebody else's truck until getting finances together to buy my own.

Expedite company recruiters have just told me to come back when I get my own truck.

Does anybody have leads that can put me in touch with truck owners looking for drivers?

[email protected]

paperback1

Expert Expediter

you can try calling pantherII, i know i saw an add looking for drivers for some owners.

RubberSoul

Expert Expediter

Thanks for the reply.... also thanks to Sean for sending me to EO classifieds, where I've answered a few ads. Will check with PantherII.

Am probably being too picky, but would rather work for small mom/pop operation who dispatch their own freight - thinking long term committment. Hard to find Dedicated contract run would be my first choice.

Current company job is not bad, except for crummy equipment - hardtail trucks!

Freight_Shaker

Expert Expediter

well my response to this is that i work for a quebec expediter and i am paid an hourly rate plus i take the truck home with me everyday i maintain the truck and keep it clean and i am treated with as much respect as he treats his own family i am very well treated and on top of it i'm paid 14 dollars an hour waiting at customs driving and unloading time i was offered to go into construction at 23 bucks an hour and refused because i am so well treated where i am that i will not get that anyplace else. theres nothing more gratifying than enjoying to go and hang out with your boss and being a driver and he does is a very respectful person to the point where he doesnt push or keep me on the road for days at a time i'm usually home every other night and i'm off on fridays and weekends and manage to do 45 + hours a week good luck in all your experiences :):):)