GPS THRU YOUR PC ???

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
met a guy with a gps that runs thru his pc...said the cost was around 125.00..it looks something like a mouse that he sets in his front window.. does anyone have one, there is several different makes and models out there sold at best buy. i wanted to no how they work..or should i just spend the bigger money....and shoot for a mellen

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hondaking38

The little unit that you are talking about is actually the GPS receiver and a microprocessor to interface with the PC or laptop. Most of these units are actually quite complicated and amazing.

Well away, it all depends on your needs. The stand alone mapping units are used just for mapping, even though the PDA type units are more versatile. The PC/Laptop with the USB GPS unit allows you to a lot, like what I am doing right now typing away in the FlyingJ lot hooked up via WiFi. I also keep all my records on my laptop and map the performance of the van I am driving.

The laptop cost 800, got a great deal from HP but I don’t like the keyboard (it types like a manual typewriter). I use MS Map Point because I got it for free as a Microsoft reseller. I am going to buy Delorme Software packaged with the GPS unit for $100 instead of buying Streets and trips. That is just because of the deal I get in rebates nothing else.

So it is up to you what you need.

Mugg2000

Expert Expediter
I have been working in the IT industry sine 1983. I am just starting to look into the Comercial driving arena for a short time now, since one of my son's started to drive with Werner. He asked m ethe same question and I just told him it sounds great as an augmentation. I also told him I have never rebooted a Rand McNalley either.

Let us know what you decide, I am always interested. Did someone say Microsoft ? :eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A Delorme is a good system if using a laptop. As many will testify, a magellan or a garmin are better but considerably higher in price.
Just depends on what you want, and how much you are planning to spend.

Davekc

theend

Expert Expediter
I would get the Delorme. Be sure, if you get either that or Microsoft Streets and Trip that the pkg includes the GPS. Right now I have MS S&T w/o the gps. (Thought the gps was sold separately.) The difference is that you just map out the route without it, but it guides you all the way to the door with the gps, by updating your map as you go. (You don't have to zoom in or out manually.) When it's about time for you to make a turn you have time to move over if you have to. If you miss a turn it guides you back to correct it. Can get Delorme at Circuit City.
Seems I heard Delorme was also more accurate.
If you don't have a laptop, consider it before a GPS system unless you can afford both.
With a laptop you can download games, play DVD's, CD's, and go online.
By the time you buy a Satellite laptop (cheap version) and a year long WiFi card from your favorite truck stop you're in range of a GPS system or under, and you have more options for killing time.
I was sitting in a Waffle House pk lot and playing a game, when a list of satelite sites came up. I was able to get on the unsecured site and sent a couple e-mails out. This was a pleasant surprise. I think the antenae was at a motel across the street.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I use CoPilot Truck Laptop4 on my ThinkPad T20 and I like it quite well. If you check the archives you will find this covered in previous topics. As with anything 'pooter related, there are a number of options and everyone swears by (at) the one they use.

Don't throw out your Motor Carrier Atlas!!!
Check out: www.alk.com

Rex

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i use ms street and strips map on my laptop right now, of course its not hooked up to a gps...i honestly believe half the time it is wrong..its usually about 3am in the morning when i am ahead of schedule, and the shipper doesnt open until 7 for directions, however my qc has been 20 miles off in canada also...

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I always like to add my ten cents.

I use MS Streets and Trips, but know it isn't truck friendly. So, I map my route on S&T then read the QC directions from Panther and adjust my map accordingly. Since Panther uses PCMiler, their routes are ok for trucks.

Before I started driving, I purchased Rand McNally's Trip Maker with GPS for a cheap price. The GPS receiver I got with it works with S&T. I can create a map by just driving and creating a "trail" with my GPS, or follow my map using the GPS. It shows my speed and direction and is pretty neat. I set it outside in front of my windshield on the only metal I can find on my truck attached by the magnet inside the receiver.

Because it is on my laptop, either my co-driver or I have to sit there with the laptop on our lap yelling out directions. I think there may be a lot of advantages to the Magellan that sits on the dash so that the driver can be in complete control without needing to wake the co-driver. I just don't want to spend that much money.

S&T is a really fantastic program and I use it all the time. It is easy to adjust the route. I save all my pickups and deliveries in a template so that I can refer to them when I get another run. I have all FJ's saved and I'm adding the rest of the truck stops as I find them and have time to save them to the template.

Gosh. I just love my laptop!!! And, BTW, I got T-Mobile in June and just love the connectivity I get on my laptop when I'm not near a truck stop that has the WiFi I've subscribed to. Now I'm always connected.

Thanks for asking.

brownie128

Expert Expediter
I read last week in WSJ about how Nextel is now selling a new Blackberry (7520) with GPS and mapping service for $199.00 plus 2 year subscription for service. Reviews were good except for smallness of screen. Maybe a good way to combine phone, GPS, and internet?

Brownie128

theend

Expert Expediter
Vehicle Laptop Holder Take your laptop computer safely in the car with you. Jotto desk car mounts install easily and provide a multi-adjustable secure desktop to use a notebook computer in any mobile office.
www.trissellcomputers.com

I think you can click on this. I met 2 guys out there that made their own stands from scratch. Not that hard to do either. Don't look snazzy but they do they job.
Now, I want to find out about TMobile.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I got MS S&T with the GPS - & I can't really use it driving alone, but I do really like the "Find nearby places" function. Whether you're wanting Chinese food or a golf course, you can get address, phone number, & directions. It's nice to play with whenever you have some free time away from home.:)