Got me again

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I often drive down to Indiana or Ohio before I buy fuel because Michigan's fuel taxs are so high. I would'nt mind paying them if the money was used to fix the roads (oh well that's another subject).
Anyway I get to the Pilot on I69 just over the line in Indiana on fumes. As I'm pumping I notice the charge is higher than the posted price so I pump just enough to get a shower. I ask the clerk about it and she says they charge extra for major credit cards. Well their extra was .06 per gallon. I know each manager has leeway on this type of thing so it's probably just a local thing but I've decided to return my pilot loyalty card to them. I use one card everywhere. This helps me to keep track of expenses and provides a great audit trail. I'm going back to heated fuel.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
TJ, I hear you. This credit card upcharge really hacks me off. I also noticed you said you were on fumes. Be careful. I ran my tank to fumes the other day and after filling up the truck ran horrible. I could find no other reason for this so I changed out fuel filter after getting through about 3/4 of the fill up and that seem to clean things up as she strted running on the next fill up.

The guy at Freightliner where I got the filter said never run them that close because of all the crap that is in those tanks. I explained to him somewhere in my little mind I already knew that but I was trying to get to fuel but due to costs and locations, well I just ran her dry.

Raceman
OTR O/O

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I'm the kind of guy that would wear a belt and suspenders so when I say fumes I mean less than a quarter tank on the guage. In my truck that means I may pump as much as 90 gal. to top it off. I have 2 75gal. tanks. But I never trust the guage on a truck.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I noticed that at a Pilot in Monroe. .05 more for credit! I got enough to get us to the Hook in Youngstown.

TJ... what you said about waiting til you get to Ohio. They don't put all of their fuel taxes on at the pump... so you're paying a high price, plus getting spanked when you get your rebate. I fuel in Michigan when I have to, but generally keep it in Indiana or Kentucky. Lately been running alot of NE freight, so I end up getting some in Ohio.

Went to Wisconsin the other day, $2.43!!! They can keep their cheese and their Packers! I fill in Gary... $2.14 at the Hook, and the nozzle was cool to the touch.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe I missunderstood an article in one of the news papers here in Michigan a while ago, but I read that any station that sells fuel can't charge more than what is posted on the sign, period.

Which includes any charges added on like credit card charges or the locally famous exact change charge.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A few years ago there was a lawsuit filed by the Visa/Master card people against Pilott and Flying J stating that they should not be allowed to charge more for Diesel Fuel on a CC vs cash. The truckstops arguement was that they were providing parking showers etc and the extra 2-3 % that Visa/MC charged was for that expense. Never heard how it turned out. You might try fueling up front where the pick up's and Rv's buy their fuel,might not be a surcharge up there.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
TJ hi when your in Mi and you buy fuel and you give the cashier your ICC-MC# don't you get a discount at the pump? I was thinking it was that way a few years ago,But its been several years since i've run in Mi.Just wondering i maybe wrong..Just my 2 cents...

Tec1959:)

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Michigan's commercial discount policy has changed. So what you get at the pump is what you get. Like any other state you still end up paying the road tax on the miles you run no matter what you do if you report accurately. Problem is the roads are bad, trucks have a 55mph speed limit and Michigan has decided to have a trucker crackdown on enforcement. So even though I live here and I love this place I'm not getting anything in return for my tax dollars. So they'll get what they have coming and no more.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with 12' cube. Dock high with jackstands. 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

If you are anywhere but Indiana I would use the RV/auto pump to pay with credit card. There is no credit surcharge on those pumps. However in Indiana you can't use your tax-exempt ICC # at the auto pumps so the fuel is about 6 cents more per gallon than it is at the truck aisle.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Yoder's truck stop in Elkhart,IN has truck diesel for 2.19 9/10.
SR19 south of the turnpike....itty bitty joint, only 2 fuel lanes and
parking for maybe a dozen trucks.
Nice folks. I fueled there twice this week.

I love the truck stop guide I got from Diesel Boss, it helps in finding these places.

Rex

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Diesel Boss

>
>I love the truck stop guide I got from Diesel Boss, it helps
>in finding these places.
>
>
>Rex

I hope the listing for the US are better than those for Ontario.
The Ontario listings are VERY poor; heck he calls Mississauga - Milton.
:'( :'( :'(