good fleet owner

independent

Seasoned Expediter
The problem with Expediting for those who do not have their own truck is finding the right fleet owner.
I started with Panther in Ohio 2 years ago. The recruiters hooked me up with what I think are the best fleet owners in the industry. Transportation designers out of Medina, OH. Near Cleavland.
They had 30 straight trucks. Not more than 5 years old. Every one had a toll tag, (E-Z PASS) and they gave every driver a Fleet 1 fuel / cash card. Yes, they paid for tolls and fuel and they give their drivers 35% of the line haul, so If I ran 1,500 miles for the week, and Panther paid them 1.20 a mile. I got 35% of that which also includes accessorials. I left after 6 or 7 months because at the time there just was not enough freight. I was getting 1,200 miles a week as a solo driver.

I tried to go back into expediting and I only seem to get truck owners that don't pay for fuel, or don't answer the phone when you need them, and these people have 5 or 10 trucks. You don't have to have 30 or 50 trucks to be a good fleet owner.
Does anyone know a dleet owner that is looking for a solo driver that pays for everything and gives the driver a percentage or a pay per mile rate?

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
good luck with THAT!! Finding a good, honest owner is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Trust me, been there/done that. Been in expediting for 4 yrs. In that whole time, have had only ONE owner that I would drive for again!!! The only reason we left was because he knew there was more/better money with T-T's than straight trucks. He sold all his straight trucks and bought more T/T's. To this day he still offers to buy any truck I want if I'll drive T/T for him.....
From what I've read, Panther is not taking on any solo straight truck drivers at this time.
You think your miles were bad before at 1200/week, you should be out there now.
Why not go back with your previous owners????

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Like vans, I'd say the industry is overloaded with solo s/t drivers. Companies want more flexible options when it comes to moving freight. A team is just as good at doing minis, but can haul the long loads without swapping; and be ready for another load right away. I think teams would also be more inclined to get solo loads in a bad area, over solos, to keep them running (avoid losing them).

Tho there will always be a need for solos, I just think there are too many at this time.

Maybe it's the solos who need to think about being flexible, and find a co-driver.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
From how the freight is going now and all the DOT regulations I think the solo expedite driver is headed for the same endng as the dinosaurs...........extinction!!! At least in a straight truck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You may be right, Suds, but I'd quit driving all together, before sharing my "living space" with someone who isn't a partner off, as well as on the job. I do envy those who have such a partnership, but I can't just make it happen, and I won't settle for less. I can always tend bar somewhere (warm!) Meantime, I'll continue to drive, long as I can earn a living, and so far, so good.
To the OP: best of luck, it's not an easy path.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I know exactly what you mean Cheri. I feel the sameway!! I'm not one to be able to just flop down in the sleeper and go off to sleep with the truck moving.
No way I could share 'living space', especially in the confines of a truck with some stranger.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Panther take Straight truck solo! I just talked with two recruters this week.So let's finish this legend...

houts

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know a dleet owner that is looking for a solo driver that pays for everything and gives the driver a percentage or a pay per mile rate?

Call Bolt Express- Talk to ANN in recruiting... I driver for a fleet owner and he is EXCELLENT!!! Many options of pay percentages... Pays on time every week.. I have been driving there for him since July.. never an issue..

wellarmed

Not a Member
My wife and I have been expediteing for 3yrs same owner. We can't even make something up that would be bad about him. I know thats hard to find. He gives u a tool to make money and u are on ur own just call if u have trouble 24/7 no micro manageing 40% ofline haul meet for dinner when ur in town he is a good friend and business partner (the needle in the haystack