GM vans ( and others?)

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
I was wondering if the GM van drivers (or former GM van drivers) could tell me what to watch for in a used GM van. There's a 2000 Savana 3500 with a 6.5 Turbo diesel with 56k on the clock that has got my attention, mainly because it's a diesel and it has such low miles.

What are some problems to look for on these vans, especially as they age. Also, what could I expect in the fuel mileage department, city/highway, loaded/unloaded.

If anyone driving a Ford or older Dodge van could tell me the ups and downs of those particular vehicles, I'd appreciate it.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
most important are you able to get maintance records for that van
so you know what's what's
if are not able to get any maintance records i would leave that one a lone

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
>most important are you able to get maintance records for
>that van
>so you know what's what's
>if are not able to get any maintance records i would leave
>that one a lone

Oh, very true. I've been burned more then once by a vehicle with no maintenence records.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Roadpilot: My 2000, 3500 gasser has just turned 512,000 miles and is still strong and tight. I can't speak to the GM diesel; however, all of the components common to each type van have treated me well. I have replaced front discs and rotors twice and the rear shoes once (last Month).

Sounds lke a decent deal to me if your prospective carrier will accept a 5 yr old vehicle, unless it was recently in New Orleans.

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
>
>
>Roadpilot: My 2000, 3500 gasser has just turned 512,000
>miles and is still strong and tight. I can't speak to the
>GM diesel; however, all of the components common to each
>type van have treated me well. I have replaced front discs
>and rotors twice and the rear shoes once (last Month).
>
>Sounds lke a decent deal to me if your prospective carrier
>will accept a 5 yr old vehicle, unless it was recently in
>New Orleans.

My carrier will take anyone as long as they can breathe and drive ( hopefully at the same time) Doing this kind of work is an in-between job for me right now, but since the small carrier I contract with always needs cargo vans and the dispatchers like me, I've been considering a move up. I almost bought a Sprinter, but the price was too much and too much of an obligation

(I work steady, but I also have classes to attend and other obligations, so having flexibility in my schedule is key ( A $600/mo Sprinter payment would have meant working one week to pay for the van.)

I am using my small 4 cylinder station wagon. I do OK with it, since my carrier is courier service/expeditor, but I was using a minivan and my jobs were usually better.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I was wondering if the GM van drivers (or former GM van
>drivers) could tell me what to watch for in a used GM van.
>There's a 2000 Savana 3500 with a 6.5 Turbo diesel with 56k
>on the clock that has got my attention, mainly because it's
>a diesel and it has such low miles.
>
>What are some problems to look for on these vans, especially
>as they age. Also, what could I expect in the fuel mileage
>department, city/highway, loaded/unloaded.
>
>If anyone driving a Ford or older Dodge van could tell me
>the ups and downs of those particular vehicles, I'd
>appreciate it.

Roadpilot

I drive a 1999 GMC Savanna 6.5 TD.

If it is I good shape and you can get the records for it, all the better.

What to watch for?

There really isn’t much. Most of the problems are related to three things; oil changes, oil leaks from the oil cooler seals (easily fixed) and just plain abuse. But with 56K, it may be a really good deal.

I would get the VIN and go to a GM dealer and have them run the VIN against the warrantee records. This will also give you a chance to see if there are any recalls.

Make sure that the oil has been changed on either a 6000 mile cycle or a 3000 mile cycle. Oil changes are the biggest problem with 6.5.

The killer for the engine is the PCM (the thing mounted to the IJ pump) that gets so hot it burns up. Oh the other thing is the lift pump may go bad at 100K.

OK mileage, I get 17 MPG loaded and 17 MPG unloaded. If I idle my mileage drops a lot. The funny thing is when it I loaded with 2000lbs, it get upper 17. Don’t know why and honestly don’t care as long as it continues.

A couple things to remember, there are two batteries, one under the hood and another mounted on the left frame rail. I would replace the one on the frame rail before winter unless the battery is new. Also get yourself a few fuel filters and keep them in the truck. For some reason if you run out of fuel, you may need to replace the filter.

I have to add one morething, the 6.5 is not a bad engine. by 2000 they worked out a lot of the bugs form the change over, 6.2 to 6.5

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 03 GMC Savanna My problems so far Side Cargo Door Hinges. Can't buy just a Complete Hinge The come 1 piece so to get a complete Hinge you have to buy 3 pieces the door side the body side and a pin. and thats at a $110.00 a Piece and $30.00 for the Pin. So thats 8 Pieces to do 2 doors and 2 Pin kits that now come with Grease Fittings. Other than That its been a Great Van got a 160,000 miles and have Change Nothing but the Oil and Filters

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Fastman:

If you are refering to the rear side door hinges freezing up, I have a possible solution for you.

I drilled holes in the face of the hinges, thru to the pin, and inserted self tapping zerk fittings.

Before inserting the grease fittings, I squirted lots of liquid wrench into the hole and exercised the door until most of the rust on the pin came free. An occasional grease job keeps the moisture out of the hinge and the doors operate with ease.

Terry

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea When I bought the Pin Kits GM Has been kind enough to to include the Zerk Fittings. Just did 2 Pins and 1 Hinge 5 hours labor total cost $450.00.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones