Finding loads on my own...

ross

Seasoned Expediter
Hello everyone,
I am a o/o Ford cargo van driver but I am looking into buying a Sprinter or box truck and want to find loads on my own. In order to do that, what would I need? I've read a post saying that I might need intestate authority, insurance(I already have insurance for my cargo van but would I have to get a different kind of insurance to work on my own?)and what else would I have to do?

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
You will need to be registered with the US-DOT as an Interstate Motor Carrier with your own authority, and have to meet their insurance requirements which are quite a bit more than your run of the mill "automotive insurance". You will also have to have permits to run in whatever states you will be driving in. The Universal Registration System will take care of most of those but some states you need to get their individual permits.

You can find the DOT requirements and fees here http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/online-registration/onlineregdescription.htm

I would recommend that if you are not already, to incorporate or form an LLC to do business under. It is simply foolish to do business as a sole proprietor as you open up all of your personal assets to the business' liabilities.

Also if you are going to source your own work you will have to decide if you are going to do your own billing or if you will use a factoring service. Remember that some companies may slow pay, short pay or not pay at all....

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hey Ross, Here are some things you will need to think about in order to go outside your home state:

-Motor Carrier Authority $300.00
-Medical card
-I believe minimum required insurance for cargo vans is $300,000, and over 10000 GVWR it is 750,000 minimum by law. Plus shippers will want cargo insurance, probably 100,000.
-Join a drug and alcohol testing group.
-Driver qualification files
-DOT inspection of truck periodically
-Maintenance records
-HOS logs if in a box truck.

This not an all inclusive list. Go to FMCSA website and type in authority. Start reading. It's not necessarily that big of a deal, but it is a regulated industry.

Definitely develop a local client base where you are.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Getting an authority to operate is not just filling out a form, paying a fee and getting a number - there is a lot of work to keep everything up to date. Safety is the biggest issue and sometimes the biggest headache.

Expect an audit in the first year (I hear this will happen in the first 6 months).

Considering the expense of insurance alone, I got a quote for the van at $5800 and there is no break until you hit 200 trucks or more.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If anyone ever wants someone to help them find loads like thier own personal dispatcher, holler at me. I'd up to helping you guys out.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You know, Ark, if enough folks take you up on that, & 'holler at you', you might have found something you can develop into a lucrative business for yourself, over time, eh?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
the thing about it is I know what it is like one the road and wouldn't be trying to stick someone for a large amount of money for doing a little bit of work. If I could find someone who will be patient with me at first I feel it will work out good for both parties. Mainly for the fact I can be looking for you a load while you're driving or resting.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Give it a shot Ark !!!!!!

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If you got a t/t and are stuck in florida and can probobly get you to arkansas. I know my dad's company has been getting a bunch of plastic in from down there to recycle. It's that black plastic for going over top vegetables on the produce farms. That's about all I know about. Then I could get you back up north with some rice or soybean cooking oil. Maybe soe air conditioners. The only reason I say this because someone asked if I had any contacts.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Didn't want to get in ant trouble for advertising on the open forum so I posted an ad under the business opurtunity section. Check it out and tell me what you think. Good idea, bad idea, or bone head idea.

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
The DOT will send you a whole list of records you must show them for your new entrant safety audit. They can suspend you from Interstate travel if they don't like what they see. It doesn't matter if you're an owner / operator, you need to have records just like you are an employee of the business.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
Do not believe getting your authority is the biggest problem getting loads may be even harder, sites I seen has very little cargo van loads, but when I was at the expo center one company said something of a NIST or something Starts with N with three other letters is where they bid on the ;oads, checked net could not find it
Chuck

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Ross If you are planning to get authority for 10,000 pounds or less it is not hard nor expensive. The insurance cost is not bad if you run a older van. Mine is a 1989 and my insurance is 94 dollars a month and that is for the 300,000 the feds require for the authority. This covers the van 100 percent of the time, even for personal use. My cargo insurance runs 74 dollars a month for 50,000 coverage. Things that are not required are medicial card, drug and alchol testing,driver files, dot inspection, maintenance records or log sheets. There will be no audit. Getting operating authority for 10,000 pounds and under consists of filing out some forms, paying a fee, and getting a number. I used permits plus and highly recommend them. I also use a factoring service and it is worth the 5 percent I pay. When getting my authority I was told by the FMCSA that the only reason they require authority for 10,000 pound and under vehicles to make sure you maintain the proper insurance. As far as loads, you are now a carrier so think like a carrier. Find your own customers and keep them happy. And believe me when I tell you that this is the hardest part of all this. Hope this helps.

CHenderson

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Ross If you are planning to get authority for 10,000 pounds or less it is not hard nor expensive. The insurance cost is not bad if you run a older van. Mine is a 1989 and my insurance is 94 dollars a month and that is for the 300,000 the feds require for the authority. This covers the van 100 percent of the time, even for personal use. My cargo insurance runs 74 dollars a month for 50,000 coverage. Things that are not required are medicial card, drug and alchol testing,driver files, dot inspection, maintenance records or log sheets. There will be no audit. Getting operating authority for 10,000 pounds and under consists of filing out some forms, paying a fee, and getting a number. I used permits plus and highly recommend them. I also use a factoring service and it is worth the 5 percent I pay. When getting my authority I was told by the FMCSA that the only reason they require authority for 10,000 pound and under vehicles to make sure you maintain the proper insurance. As far as loads, you are now a carrier so think like a carrier. Find your own customers and keep them happy. And believe me when I tell you that this is the hardest part of all this. Hope this helps.
Hello. I have a question regarding New Entrant Safety Audit. I am aware that since I am operating a Sprinter less than 10,000 lbs that we are exempt from this requirement but every time I go to update my MCS-150, it asks how many vehicles I operate in the US and there are only spaces for Straight trucks and larger. The last time I checked straight trucks, I received letters requiring me to go through the new entrant program. What is the work around for this?