Fair split between fleet owner and driver, Sprinter Van

BobbyK

New Recruit
Researching
Little background on me, I was a driver for a fleet owner back in 2014-16 using his van for 0.34/mile. Owner paid for gas, maintenance, and insurance.

I know it's not worth getting back into this today with the low rates and not being an owner operator so let's skip that part of the feedback please.

Question is hypothetically if your bro in law offered to hire you to drive untill you saved up to buy your own van what realistic split would you settle for?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know it's not worth getting back into this today with the low rates and not being an owner operator so let's skip that part of the feedback please.
Thats a too important part of the equation to skip.
Question is hypothetically if your bro in law offered to hire you to drive untill you saved up to buy your own van what realistic split would you settle for?
The rates being where they are, your bro in law can't afford to pay you enough to save.
With that said, a 60/40 split is the preferable split over being paid mileage.

BobbyK

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for your reply. 60% for me if I'm paying gas and on his Insurance should leave me at around 0.30/mile which makes it $18/hr if my math is right.

While that's a pay cut to the $23/hr I'm making now inspecting road asphalt crews. I would rather be back driving. I have fond memories, even running from Detroit to Virginia Beach to Laredo straight is better than walking next to 340° asphalt every day.

I also never experienced the cash boom you guys had during covid so long as I can pay basic bills and pay of his van which I'm getting at a family discount I think I can make it work.

Don't work I won't low ball like I hear yall talking about. Tires aren't cheap