Expedited US mail runs?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got an email from someone asking about this and wonder;

If such a thing actually exist?

And

Does anyone actually do mail runs or have done mail runs outside of expeditng mail?

A long time ago, I worked for a company who did air freight of mail during the holiday seasons with DC3s (actually they were c-47s) and made a lot of money.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i ran a load of usps mail from buffalo,ny to alexandria,va once. paid a buck 35 a mile plus a 40 cent fsc.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Yes we do it. I ran a number of these originating in Groveport, Ohio, near Columbus to POs In Pittsburg, New York, Penns. When my Ford work comes to an end I am sure I will run them again. I really do not recall pay but $1.35 sounds about right.

Raceman
Dedicated O/O
OOIDA 741748

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've done a couple of bulk mail deliveries to U.S.P.S mail centers. One was a bulk rate flyer to Fargo. The other was a two stop, 2 pallets of voting ballots, Watertown, SD and Bismarck,ND.

Deville

Not a Member
I've heard about them, I always wanted to know how to get involved with them.
Anyone has any contact info?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info.

I am also looking for the info about contracting with the USPS but I know that they have the same financial requirement that the SDDS has, so I won't go down that road any time soon.

Maybe some sub-contracting opertunities could be found but who knows?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Pat Salmon and Son is a mail contractor based in little rock,ar/memphis,tn. they may have some sub contracting opportunties. they run mail all over the country. just a thought.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
greg
I've run many bulk mail runs for fed ex cc even back when they were roberts,you usually get them during the holiday season. we use to get
Christmas over flow,pittsbugh to denver,with return back to pittsburgh,in fact even if there were no loads in denver,we still came back to pittsburgh,for same pay.Don't know if they used straight trucks though

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Thanks for the replies,

I ended up talking to the guy I used to work for (actually his grandson) and he set me up with all the info. I wish I could buy that company, they do make a good amount of money for working on the holidays. Next year will be their last year flying mail, after 62 years of continous business, the old man is retiring at 89 years old and the planes will be going someplace else to do something else.

Any way I ran up to their office and got a lot of books from them. The USPS uses straight trucks and interesting thing is that they use dock high trucks but also half height boxes in the spec book. Tomorrows reading is all of this stuff, I am wondering if there is a performance bond like the SDDS.

I got another email telling me that the USPS only has company trucks. well I know that is wrong.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Pat Salmon and Sons phone number is (501) 945-6996. They run a few day cab C-Units. I know if they would use a D-unit otr or not. Just have to check and see.