Espar heaters are expensive!!!

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
But they are worth every dime!!

Installed my D4 right after thanksgiving and just on time. Temps have dropped into single digits and even below zero with wind chill and I have been toasty warm the entire time.

I drive a sprinter and use the entire van for living space when not under load. It is the tallest and longest version of said vehicle. Thermostat has never been higher than a halfway setting(and that was too hot). I am truly impressed with this piece of equipment.

To save some money I do recommend installing your self. It is pretty easy and can be done in a day for a first time installer. fuel usage is negligable.

I do not make a recomendation unless I really mean it. This is an item every expeditor should add to his arsinal of equipment!!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
What do they cost in the box? Can you get one in ordering direct? I am about to spray insulate my CV and now looking for heater.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Any device that keeps you comfortable without having to idle,will pay for itself many times over the life of the vehicle.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
ttiwwp.gif

Just kidding, but pics of a self-install might benefit some people. :D

How did you handle the airflow, heat output and cold air input, insofar as where the duct work goes? Is the van well insulated?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Good question. How did you do all that? Is and Espar unit installed inside the CV or under? Anybody got a picture?

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I am a bad boy when it comes to taking pics....I have pics of the insulation process which I still have not posted but did not take any pics of the espar install..

I installed it just behind the drivers seat and against the wall with about 2 to 3 inches of clearance..Used a hole saw to drill the 4 1/4 inch hole that the intake and exaust and the fuel line exit the van thru...a 3/4 inch hole just above and to the right for the fuel pump control line. attached the unit to the mounting plate..then attach exhaust, intake and fuel lines to the unit and drop all 3 thru the big hole and screw down plate. secure the intake and exhaust lines under the truck so they are not flopping around or take in road water..exhaust towards the back...intake towards the front.

Fuel line and pump are then mounted underneath and sprinter has fuel line hook up just hanging there and waiting..(i think espar is an option for an aux heater in a sprinter so it is set up for it at the factory)

The heat output hose is 4" hose..clamp hose on output side of heater..drilled hole for vent in cargo wall and 4 screws to hold on cargo wall...attach hose with clamp..

temp controller is plugged in and for now just loose wire hanging on frame work as all panels are not yet installed in my van..I also did not install an intake hose yet for the same reason so intake is just the other side of heater with no hose on it.

Cost w/shipping was 1865.00 and I save approx 500.00 in installation by doing it my self.

Sorry about the pics guys...I promise to post some soon

herbie

Expert Expediter
dear sir. i am replying to your message about installing the espar heater your self. do you have any imore info you would share with me, do instructions to install come with heater. i have used espar for several years. fixing to purchase new sprinter and may llook into installing my self. my e mail address is [email protected] phone 910 284 6471 thanks for your help. herbie

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I'm not taking anything away from Espar heaters, they are great for an established expediter. I found and purchased an Ice House heater from NorthernTool.com. $120.00 plus freight. Comes with a hose to hook to a propane cylinder and includes an oxygen censer. Also have a methane gas censer.
Mount it to the side wall (8" deep).
Will forward pictures later.
Merry Christmas to all.