E-track Load Bar for Sprinter?

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Looking for options for load bar for Sprinter. I have not seen E-track load bar thats locks into E-track rails that fits Sprinter at about 80-85 inches width. They all seem too long for Trucks.

1) Can I find these bars that will lock into E-track for Van?
Ive found the ones with the rubber end that push out on wall. I know Van/Sprinter walls are not that strong so would prefer to lock into e-track if possible.

2) Is their any way I can do this with l-track on sides?

I have L-track on floor already and will add E-track to sides or L-track to sides.

I can get the straps that have both end types(L and E) to tie in both as needed.

Thanks,
Steve

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think most use the 2x4 brackets that pop into the wall track and you slide a 2x4 in

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use straps up and over from the floor e-track, sometimes in an x pattern depending on what is being secured. I have e-track on the walls but they are far less sturdy than the floor. I use one of the bars you mention with the rubber pads and put the ends against the wall e-track when I do. That spreads the pressure over a larger area, primarily against the structure spars of the van the e-track attaches to. It's still not as strong as the floor but much more than just the wall skin.

Oh, Lodi Metals is where you want to get straps. They custom make them in Ohio to your exact specifications with much better material than the junky truck stop imports. I have two lengths and chose my colors so I know instantly which length by which color.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Those e-track bars look to me like they would be easy enough to modify. Take the slider out of one end, cut the aluminum tube to your desired length and drill a new hole for the pin that goes through the tube. If I remember correctly, the ends of those pins are bradded (sp?), but they could be drilled out and replaced with a bolt of the same diameter and a nut.

I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement ends, so the only difference in my description and replacing an end would be the cutting of the tube to a shorter length. A couple of the bars that came with my old straight truck had bolts in the ends. I'm guessing somebody had replaced the ends.

I don't know who, but I bet you could find somebody that could order custom lengths also.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Those e-track bars look to me like they would be easy enough to modify. Take the slider out of one end, cut the aluminum tube to your desired length and drill a new hole for the pin that goes through the tube. If I remember correctly, the ends of those pins are bradded (sp?), but they could be drilled out and replaced with a bolt of the same diameter and a nut.

I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement ends, so the only difference in my description and replacing an end would be the cutting of the tube to a shorter length. A couple of the bars that came with my old straight truck had bolts in the ends. I'm guessing somebody had replaced the ends.

I don't know who, but I bet you could find somebody that could order custom lengths also.
I had 2 aluminum load bar's for my tractor/trailer and cut them down to fit the Sprinter.

Get hammer and punch;knock out pin;cut to length;drill new holes(remember one side is a different size than other).I got a pair of vise-grip's and squeeze the flared end back closed a little.Put pin back in and re-flared the end of the pin.Now I have 2 load bar's that fit the Sprinter.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I had 2 aluminum load bar's for my tractor/trailer and cut them down to fit the Sprinter.

Get hammer and punch;knock out pin;cut to length;drill new holes(remember one side is a different size than other).I got a pair of vise-grip's and squeeze the flared end back closed a little.Put pin back in and re-flared the end of the pin.Now I have 2 load bar's that fit the Sprinter.
One thing for those who haven't used them much to keep in mind. That pin has nothing to do with the ability of the load bar to stop freight. The pin's only function is to keep the sliding end from falling out of the tube. Should be perfectly safe to modify...in my opinion.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We used the hydraulic load bars from Sav-A-Load in our sprinter without problems.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cutting the ends off was exactly what I did to modify one when I had the Ford. The Ford sidewalls, while nowhere near as strong as the floor, are much stronger than the walls of a Sprinter (which are only marginally stronger than a soft drink can). When I got my Sprinter I chose not to use sidewall E-Track for that very reason.

If I were to use sidewall bars now, it would be a 2x4 and the brackets. Most definitely not a load bar that cranks out and uses outward pressure for securement. I've seen Sprinter walls that were deformed by a shower curtain rod.

In my Sprinter I went completely without any sidewall track securements at all, and really haven't missed it. Like Leo said, floor up and over is more secure, anyway. For things like barrels not secured to a skid, I just use lashing (loop) straps around the barrel(s) to create a securement point, then run E-Track through the loop back down to the floor.

guido4475

Not a Member
I use straps up and over from the floor e-track, sometimes in an x pattern depending on what is being secured. I have e-track on the walls but they are far less sturdy than the floor. I use one of the bars you mention with the rubber pads and put the ends against the wall e-track when I do. That spreads the pressure over a larger area, primarily against the structure spars of the van the e-track attaches to. It's still not as strong as the floor but much more than just the wall skin.

Oh, Lodi Metals is where you want to get straps. They custom make them in Ohio to your exact specifications with much better material than the junky truck stop imports. I have two lengths and chose my colors so I know instantly which length by which color.

Awesome idea on the straps! Please accept my apology for borrowing you're idea, as I want to get like 2- 26 foot straps, and a couple of 21 footers, and a couple of 14 footers.

26 footers for 3 skids, 6 ft in height.
21 footers for 3 skids, 4 ft in height.
14 footers, for 2 skids, 4 ft in height.
these straps will also work for smaller skids as well.

And I will have them stamp my name on them, as well.

guido4475

Not a Member
One thing for those who haven't used them much to keep in mind. That pin has nothing to do with the ability of the load bar to stop freight. The pin's only function is to keep the sliding end from falling out of the tube. Should be perfectly safe to modify...in my opinion.

I did the same thing that comet did, only instead of re-using the pin, I bought a couple of 1/2 dia. bolts and nuts and used them. Worked fine.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry,I guess I should of told you that my was the square bar type. Not the round type that pushes between the sides.

I tried the round type one time and it would push the side of the van before you could it tight enough to hold anything.

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
I decided to use the brackets with 2 x 4. Didn't know about that option.

E-track on wall is a requirement for my Company, so i will install it. I will use the x-pattern LDB mentioned for heavy loads. I also have d-rings so that should be more than enough.

Lodi Metals: Just saw the site yesterday. Not too far from me so I will take a drive down and pick up everything I need. Seems like good products.

I need to break my Van in so it will be a nice drive to Lodi.

Thanks everyone for all the info!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Potential problem I found with the brackets and a 2x4 is my Chevrolet C/V isn't the same width everywhere. I cut a 2x4 for the farthest rear of my van, when I try using it towards the front, the board is too short and falls out. I use the farthest rear one to hang my tv with some U shaped brackets I bent. Set up a chair and I'm all set. :))

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 2x4 will work fine, use treated lumber its stronger.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123