DOT PHYSICAL

A_ALLAN

Seasoned Expediter
Hi everybody....
Just getting started and have a few questions. Have passed all the written tests I need for a class c, and now need to pass the skills test as soon as I can find a truck to rent. I understand that I have to pass a DOT Physical. According to the form I printed out from the internet, this physical can be done by my Doctor, a chiropractor, or physicians assistant. Then whoever does the physical signs a certificate that I carry with me. Do all expeditors except this certificate? Do any of them require their own physicals?
If I would decide to drive for FedX - is the three day training required by them for drivers or just owner/operators? How long after you sign up with FedX do you typically get called by a fleet owner?
Thanks for you assistance
Al

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Some companies, like Panther, don't recognize physicals other than their own. It's a pain in the butt after you've forked out good money only months before.

If you have a Concentra office near you, I recommend them. They cost $35, or there bouts. Usually an occupational health clinic will take care of it also.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My opinion

According to the form I printed out from the internet, this physical can be done by my Doctor, a chiropractor, or physicians assistant. Then whoever does the physical signs a certificate that I carry with me. Do all expeditors except this certificate?

Yes, I think so but I think it is limited to PAs and doctors not chiropractors.

Do any of them require their own physicals?

I don't know but assume that a DOT phyiscal should fill the requirments of the DOT and Insurane company.

If I would decide to drive for FedX - is the three day training required by them for drivers or just owner/operators?

I have heard it is only for O/Os but when I took mine it had drivers in it and I think I was two of 15 people who owned my truck. If you can take the oriantation - go for it.

How long after you sign up with FedX do you typically get called by a fleet owner?

Don't know.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
http://www.ooida.com/Swimming_sharks/help_list_owner_ops.html

The above link will provide you with some great questions to ask of a potential owner to which to lease.

In a previous response to a question you asked, I was not aware that you desire to get into expediting was imminent. In you shoes, I'd get a med certificate to show a prospective owner that you are medically qualified to drive. FedEx Custom Critical, or another carrier, might a require you to get a physical on their approved form so plan on doing it again. Unless you can get a driver packet from the company recruiter so your first physical meets the requirements of you selected carrier.