D.O.T Rules

hungry

Seasoned Expediter
I am new to expediting. I am looking to purchase a truck in Ga. What documents do i need to move truck to the Pa. area? Other than temp. plate & ins. I am not signed on with a carrier as of now. Do I need IFTA stickers DOT number. Thank You

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
As long as you can prove that you just bought it, I don't see why you'd have problems with the "cubs"...

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
You can always through a little cardboard sign on the side that "Out of Service" and/or "Not for Hire." Just keep that bill of sale with you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't forget to have an updated log. A lot of people seem to think that just because they are bringing their baby home, they don't need to log.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If you have a temporary tag and no signs or lettering on the truck your considered to be a private vehicle. Make sure you have insurance. That's in Ga. Let me ad also if you are driving and you are on the title p/work.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Don't forget to have an updated log. A lot of people seem to think that just because they are bringing their baby home, they don't need to log.

Good point and make sure it covers any duty going back 7 days previous to the day you run it. You need to cover your service for the total of eight days.

hungry

Seasoned Expediter
The truck will be registered in company name. I will have log book,medical card,fire extinguisher,triangles and fuses. There are no numbers or letters on truck. Also ins. I will be driving the truck.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
The truck will be registered in company name. I will have log book,medical card,fire extinguisher,triangles and fuses. There are no numbers or letters on truck. Also ins. I will be driving the truck.

Just put your tag in the window on the passenger side of your truck along with a sign that say "not for Hire". That way the folks in the scalehouse can see everything. I have done this many times with no problems.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
dont need the not for hire if you have temp paper,but you should line up a company to lease to so you can save your sales tax

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
I don't think you need to worry about the state sales tax, there are only 3 states that collect commercial sales tax...I don't know which 3 though...I just bought a truck in Ohio and Illinois did not charge me anything.