Chains or cables?

yayashas

Seasoned Expediter
Walmart sells both only no chains for my size. Will cables work as good? Maybe I will never need it but won't hurt to have it.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I would go with chains. Then you never have to worry about a compliance issue. IMHO.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Our chains will stay in the bags in which they came until we are forced to install them.
We will then travel to the nearest safe place and sit until they are no longer required.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Where is a good place to get chains? Do u really need dual chains for tires?....but I do agree. If roads r to bad just stop and wait it out if possible ..

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
I am from the "Snowbelt" in Northern Michigan and have never used chains. (Not allowed on Michigan roads) When do you use chains and cables? I can see maybe during a storm in the mountains to fight downhill slides but to me, seems like a waste of time.

Looking forward to my first donuts of the year in an empty frozen parking lot. :D

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Rich,
Out west you are required to carry chains in certain states. Some states require that you carry two sets. When roads and passes get bad the DOT for the area put up the chain law meaning you can't proceede past a certain point without chains on. If you are found traveling without them on while the law is up you will get fined.

Slackin is what a Slacker does best :D

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Rich,
Out west you are required to carry chains in certain states. Some states require that you carry two sets. When roads and passes get bad the DOT for the area put up the chain law meaning you can't proceede past a certain point without chains on. If you are found traveling without them on while the law is up you will get fined.

Thanks Slack,
Haven't yet been west of Kansas City on any runs. I guess it's time to find a set of chains just in case. Don't want any fines.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
After carrying chains around for 12 years we are glad we now have the On Spot chains and can use them as needed either on the interstates or parking lots.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
but are they worth the cost for as much as you may use them?

They must be Steve to us or we would not have put them on. They are expensive and not something to put on the truck without a lot of consideration.

There are times when chains have to be installed and they are heavy and with us running wide base singles the tires chains are exceptionally heavy.

Onspot of North America

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
but are they worth the cost for as much as you may use them?

You don't need to use them often to make them worth EVERY DIME.

We took a strong gust in WY on the right rear corner of the box while crossing a section of road covered by blowing snow, if it hadn't been for auto chains our truck would have ended up off the road. I would say that day they MORE than paid for themselvs. Best 2k ever spent when it saves the truck imho.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You don't need to use them often to make them worth EVERY DIME.

We took a strong gust in WY on the right rear corner of the box while crossing a section of road covered by blowing snow, if it hadn't been for auto chains our truck would have ended up off the road. I would say that day they MORE than paid for themselvs. Best 2k ever spent when it saves the truck imho.

I wonder if you were on 80 crossing Elk Mountain. Yeppe!!
Yes they are worth there wait if you run west.
To answer the other I wouldn't buy 3 railers (double chains,)
unless you run west all the time, singles will do. Those three railers are really heavy as Ms. Caffee stated. As for Cables, if your running a ST or TT don't bother because half the states in the west they are illegal. And again don't buy Chains made in China you will be sorry. They brake awfully easy. If you run team and can justify the expense I would get the automatics. They will save your shoulders and back.

yayashas

Seasoned Expediter
Was it in states that have big mountains? I seen them in California chains and cables at Walmart.