CAUTION WITH EZ PASS

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just for info. On May 13, 2006 (last year) I got on the toll road at exit 49 Buffalo NY, and had to get off at exit 50. I wound up in the EZ Pass lane and was no way to move over. So I just drove through, parked went back in to pay my .15 cents. I was told that I could not pay it that they would send me a fine.

Saturday, almost a year later, I received a letter from EZ Pass stating that I owned them $101.00. I contacted them and they told me that the high cost was for the entire length of the toll road plus a $25.00 administrative fee.

I then informed the lady, who was quite helpful that I stopped at the toll booth and went inside and obtained instructions from the officials and have the instructions in hand; I furthe advised that the instruction card indicated that if this was the first offense that the $25.00 admin fee would be waived. Then to her surprise I advised her that I was still in possession of my 'TOLL TICKET" which indicated that I got on at Exit 50 and owed a total of .15 cents.

I have just sent them a check for .15 cents and certified the mail. I also reminded her that it is absurd to send out a fine for .15 when you have to use a .37 cent stamp.

Moral to the story: If you wind up in the EZ Pass lane and go thru without paying you will eventually receive a fine. You must have your toll ticket showing were you got on. Other wise you pay the entire length of the toll road. So, file away your toll ticket so you can find it when the time comes, does not matter how long it will take. I almost threw it away on a couple of occassions. Regards to all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Or, simply get an EZ Pass or I-Pass transponder and be done with it.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Mass Pike was kinder to me. Couldn't`t read the sign due to trucks ahead until too late to ##### everybody off,so I went thru. Explained to the toll taker at my exit. He just collected the toll,and said "It happens all the time,have a good day". I DID!!!

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

It would be nice if they could come up with a more uniform system.Each state is different and which lane is the cash lane and which lane is the Easy Pass lane changes constantly.Or atleast they could mark the lanes better.Ok my ranting over.

May the expedited load gods smile kindly upon you.