Carrier Setup with New 3PL / Broker

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter
When you sign up as a new carrier with 3PLs / Brokerages do you use an online portal, e-mail, fax or phone/mail combination?

I was curious what was out there and what other carriers preferred. It seems like an online portal where all the information can be entered and either pictures or PDFs of necessary documents could be uploaded would be the easier, but I have not seen many companies offer this service.

Am I missing something, or what is the common process for signing up?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
The common process is to sign on with a carrier that is already set up with those load sources. Or is one of those sources as well.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
When you sign up as a new carrier with 3PLs / Brokerages do you use an online portal, e-mail, fax or phone/mail combination?

I was curious what was out there and what other carriers preferred. It seems like an online portal where all the information can be entered and either pictures or PDFs of necessary documents could be uploaded would be the easier, but I have not seen many companies offer this service.

Am I missing something, or what is the common process for signing up?

Yes to all the above.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The common process is to sign on with a carrier that is already set up with those load sources. Or is one of those sources as well.
Yeah, when you're signing up as a new carrier, if you don't already know where your loads are gonna come from, you've got a long row to hoe.

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter

Sorry Murray, I'm confused on what you mean by that? I'm very new to this industry, so pardon my lack of familiarity.

I was intending to ask what method a carrier would use to sign up with a 3PL that would allow them to broker their freight.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Freight, if you can't figure out how to fill out a carrier packet, you're not gonna make it very far in this business. There were times when I had gotten a load from a new carrier and only had 15 minutes to fill out a six page carrier packet and fax it back to said carrier. I had to do all of this while dispatching my driver. If you don't know how the process works, no one is going to teach you, because that just means more competition for the rest of us who have figured out the game!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Sorry Murray, I'm confused on what you mean by that? I'm very new to this industry, so pardon my lack of familiarity.

I was intending to ask what method a carrier would use to sign up with a 3PL that would allow them to broker their freight.

Our route was different, but I'm thinking you might Google "logistics or 3rd Party Logistics" and start making calls.
Guess that's pretty vague too.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
do not fall for the no one will help you crap

Landstar goto landstarbroker.com

ch robinson goto chrwtrucks.com

panther email Corey Golec <[email protected]>

TQL Call 800-580-3101 x. 69310 to request a setup packet.

tri-state email
Ross Owens <[email protected]>

thats just a few off the top of my head.

you will never be my competition you answered your own question email,carrier portals calling and faxing

logisticscom

Not a Member
Like the post above earlier mentioned - call some brokers, ask for their carrier packet via email and then complete it before you try booking loads with them. Be careful what brokers you accept loads from. What I mean by that is simple - do a background credit check on any and all brokers. By doing so you will find out if they even pay their bills, how long it takes to pay and how long they have been in business. Personally, I would suggest staying away from brokerages that haven't been in business for at least 5-10 years, that amount of time gives you a long time of their payment history and credit background.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
What happened to Katrina at Panther? It will take over a month sometimes to get signed on with Panther because there is a backlog of carriers trying to sign on with them. Owens is a cool cat over there with Tristate. I like their team. FedEx is another carrier you can hook up with, but you have to be in business for at least a year before they will work with you. Menlo is nearly impossible to get on with if you are a small carrier. NLM will take you on if you've been in business for over six months, but you won't see any Ford or GM freight. Ford and GM only work with preferred carriers. You can also get set up with Active Aero, but most of their customers will not send you loads unless you are a preferred carrier. I was on there for a while, but I never got any of the Honda or Toyota loads. I also never got any of the John Deere loads that they have. You can try to get on with Ryder logistics to get the rail yard loads, but they only work with five larger expedite carriers. You can try Lynnco Supply Chain Solutions. Then there is a company called Radiant Global Logistics where a lot of the air freight comes from. Ceva Logistics has regional offices that send out emails with expedite loads. Then you can try and get on with Air Cargo Inc, or get the Chrysler loads through Expeditors International. That's just to name a few. I hope you have a workman's comp policy and you check out all of the brokers you work with. When times are slow most brokers will pay their preferred carriers before the carriers that move just a few loads a month for them. They can afford to lose the little guy with a few trucks, but they can't take that chance with the bigger outfits that haul most of their loads. It's a learning process that you will have to discover on your own. I can bust out with names and contacts as well. Like the expedited freight at CH Robinson. You're not going to get any of that high paying freight without the contact info I have. Anyone can get a T-Number from CH Robinson, but not anyone is going to get their expedited loads. That's a very short list of carriers right there!

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Read the carrier packet before you sign off on it. Any glaring idiotic parts holding you responsible for things beyond your control, mark through and initial it. Everything is negotiable. If it's not it isn't worth the trouble because there are 1,000 more who will negotiate given the right circumstances.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Since becoming a freight agent/ broker for Sunteck Transportation I send out a carrier packet to everyone that we do business with. After we get it back we send it over to the legal department for them to review and do a credit check. Reading their carrier packet is very important as it may have many things it the packet that could cost a company dearly if your late for a delivery. Always read it over before you sign it.

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
I would also make sure that the 3PL is okay with you double brokering their freight. Since the 3PL is brokering it already, I guess it would be triple brokered.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
it took one day to get set up with panther and that was just last week. maybe because I do flatbed and van. I don't know. Corey was very helpful expediting my paperwork. Ross is a cool cat.and fed-ex custom critical may take a year in business I don't know. I work with fed-Ex truckload brokerage. it don't take to long to develop relationships @ ch they just have hundreds of offices and you just need to deal with the right ones who move the expedite freight and get on the email list of carriers they send it out to and respond to all request. there is no rocket science here. to do tri-state you will need a SCAC code National Motor Freight Traffic Association.

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter
Freight, if you can't figure out how to fill out a carrier packet, you're not gonna make it very far in this business. There were times when I had gotten a load from a new carrier and only had 15 minutes to fill out a six page carrier packet and fax it back to said carrier. I had to do all of this while dispatching my driver. If you don't know how the process works, no one is going to teach you, because that just means more competition for the rest of us who have figured out the game!

Hi RoadHouse -

Sorry, I was looking at this problem from a different perspective. I recently was hired as a business analyst and one of the things I noticed was the challenging process of setting up new carriers.

I thought it was difficult for you as a carrier, the customer, and what you described is exactly what I would hope to avoid. I don't want you to only have 15 minutes to fill out a 6 page packet, find a fax and send it back. I would love for you to have a web portal that you can fill out and upload your necessary documents that you already have saved. Ideally this could be done by a dispatcher on a PC, but I would also love a simple mobile option that would allow a carrier to do this in 10 minutes from their phone anywhere that they get service. I want to provide as many flexible and simple ways to allow us to do business together as possible.

From the perspective of the broker, I felt like an online portal would reduce the amount of labor used to sign up new carriers (phone calls, packet review, fax sending, fax collection, sending packets back for not being completed correctly, etc.). I also thought it could mitigate risk by reducing the manual review and taking a more systematic approach with an online portal (ie "Error: MC# not valid" or "Agreement not digitally signed").

I wanted to get the carrier perspective on if they saw this as a benefit, a competitive advantage, or overall improved service if it could be offer by a 3PL/Brokerage.

Thank you for the good feedback and info on this thread!

Freightenstein

Rookie Expediter
do not fall for the no one will help you crap

Landstar goto landstarbroker.com

ch robinson goto chrwtrucks.com

panther email Corey Golec <[email protected]>

TQL Call 800-580-3101 x. 69310 to request a setup packet.

tri-state email
Ross Owens <[email protected]>

thats just a few off the top of my head.

you will never be my competition you answered your own question email,carrier portals calling and faxing

Thank you crich!

Since I answered my own question (Oops!), what % of 3PL/Brokerages have used each method from your experience?

% on Fax
% on E-mail
% on Web Portal

Did you have a preference?

What made it easy or a good experience vs. difficult and a trying experience?

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you trying to rereinvent the wheel? The only bad part is feeling rushed to read a lengthy contract if time is of the essence. Fax, email whatever works can be accomplished no problem from the cab of a truck.