cargo van

marty6731

Expert Expediter
I'm looking for someone who is driving a chevy or gmc van to tell me how they like a GM product. I have been driving ford vans for 25 years and I'm looking to drive a different model. Presently I have a 1996 e-250 with the best engine ford ever put out (4.9 inline 6) with over 600,000. I have heard horror stories about the new ford engines. Bad head gaskets, spark plugs blowing out of the engine. I'm looking at a chey van with, I believe, a v-6 4.3. Anyone with any info that could help me out would be greatly appreciated. thanks, marty

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Marty,
I will give you my thoughts on the Ford to Chevy switch. I switched after 25 years of Ford vans to a Chevy van in 2002. The Chevy van started falling apart right at 10k. I mean nuts, bolts ect. started falling off. Around the same time the rear-end gears went out. The Chevy van is the worse investment I've ever made. I didn't have that kind of problems out of Ford though I've heard that the newer Fords are doing the same thing. I bought a new Sprinter in 2004 and other than a couple of recalls for the EGR valve and tire valve stems I have been pretty happy with it.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I can't comment on the 6 cyl Chev, but my 5.7, V-8 has just turned 540,000 miles and is still running great. My next van will be a Chev or GMC. Had two ford diesels that ran great but expensively. The transmissions gave me so much grief, I switched to the Chev and have been a happy and profitable owner since.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not only is Terry happy but he could probably give Dale Earnhart Jr some competition. LOL GM did it right with his unit. :p

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 03 GMC 2500 it has 187,000 plus miles the 5.3 motor is the best I've had. In 187,000 miles I've done next to nothing to it I put tires on at 100,000 miles and a altanator at 150,000 miles and replaced the door hinges on the side cargo doors at 175,000 miles. thats good enough for me to say I'll Buy GMC next time.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Fastman: I had problems with my side door hinge pins rusting and causing the door to be opened with great difficulty. The problem was particularly acute on the rear side door due to the wind driven rain and snow enty thru the hinge seams.

I solved the problem by drilling a hole in the face of each hinge and installing a self tapping zerk (grease fitting) in each hole. Occasional greasing solve the rusty hinge, frozen door problem.

Terry

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep when I bought the new Hinges they came with Zerk Fittings.

Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I sold my 1998 chev 3500 1 1/2 years ago. It had 340,000 mi. I re-
placed the fuel pump once at about 185,000. The altenator and water pump were still original. Rear seals leaked at about 250,000 which forced me to replace original rear brake shoes. Changed tranny fluid and filter twice. And of course the usual front brake pads and tires as they wore. Got a new front bumper, fender, grill and radiator courtsey of Bambi. Extremely satisfied with Chevrolet. Van is still be driven locally by a HAVC guy. He took a chance on a high mile vehicle, got a good deal, he's satisfied.
My 2004 Chev 3500 has 112,000 miles. Only complaint so far is front tire wear. Original front tires were replaced at 60,000. I didn't notice the un-even wear until after the warranty expired. My tire guy put new tires on the rear and the original rears on the front plus re-alignment. The front end was not properly aligned at the factory.
Both vans are 155 inch wheel base. They ride and load better than Ford.
My next van may be a Sprinter though. In the future the Sprinter may be the benchmark by which "B" loads are marketed.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Your front tire wear may be excessive due to an alignment that was performed on an empty van. Next time you get an alignment have the mechanic adjust the alignment in consideration that you more often than not travel with 500-1000 pounds in the rear.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The van came from the factory with the alignment problem. At 60,000 my tire dealer re-aligned the front end and put new tires on the rear and the rear tires up front. Front tires now have 112,000 and show even wear. I will be buying new rear tires soon and moving the present rear tires to the front and retiring (pun intended) the front tires. I think I'm making this sound more complicated than it really is. My 1998 went about 110,000 on the original front tires. There was slight cupping and I wanted to run them another two months until winter but the belts seperated on one so it was time to replace them.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should add that my tire dealer is an independent shop. The owner knows how the van is used. He is a very honest and decent person. He once sold me two slightly used (8000 miles) tires off a truck that went to larger tires and wheels. I should have bought all four but only needed two. Probably should have bought the wheels too. Oh well.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will be buying new rear tires soon and moving the present rear tires to the front...

Why aren't you putting the new tires on the front? I've heard scores and scores of times to put the new tires on the front for better control and move the used tires to the back but I've never once heard the opposite.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me it Depends on the time of the Year. Winter Time I Put New On The Rear.Summer Time I Put Them on the Front. But 99% Of the time I buy 4 New tires. If I've Done my Job I've Rotated them At each Oil Change so they Wear out at the Same time.

Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired

texasslowpoke

Expert Expediter
I have a 04 GMC 1 ton ext with over 180,000 miles only expenes was a front wheel bearing in the middle of nowhere,at 1am on the 401 in Canada. At 21,000 miles. My other GMC 1 ton is 05 and has 94,000 miles and no expenes yet.Use full synth oil every 6000 miles, rotate at every 10,000. I plan to get another GMC 1 ton with a high top installed. Both have the 6.0 vortec engine. Would not change a thing.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My rear tires bear most of the weight when loaded. They also wear more evenly.
My experience with chevys is that front tires tend to scallop along the edges at about 100,000 mi. or so.
I have run nothing but Bridgestones and if I can safely get 115,000 miles I'm happy. The only tire failure I've had was the broken belt. That's it. NOt even a flat. Hope I didn't just curse myself.
I run 80# p.s.i. in the rear and 70#p.s.i in the front. I guess it works for me.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My E-350 came with Wrangler H/T's. I've stuck with them. I run 80psi all around, rotate every 40k and replace all 4 every 180-190k. I've gone to 200k but that was pushing it a bit.

On the subject of a 6-banger, I've only met one guy that had one and when he got a new van he was ELATED to have a V-8.

BobbyS

Expert Expediter
Marty, Had a friend at TriState (727) put on 961,000 miles on a V8 Chevy Van. Put a plate in the floor to remove to change fuel pumps every 1 or 2 100,000 miles. 1 Trans replacement and same motor. Van is still running last I heard. He purchased another Chevy Van. bobby

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Terry, good info, any chance you could post a photo of where you drilled for the grease fittings?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
tr:

I've tried unsuccessfully to get a foto onto the site. If anyone wants one of my coveted fotos of a zerk in a hinge PM me; I think I can get it to you that way