Cab curtains for vans

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone tried those after-market big truck privacy curtains in a cargo van? Sure, there might be an excess of material, but that can always be remedied. I've never been able to make it as dark as I like inside when I'm sleeping.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I used Reflectix, I just cut it to fit the windows, it makes it very dark in the van.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I have curtains made from a quilt-like fabric that has a layer of reflective mylar sandwiched in the center. It blacks out light and is a great insulator.

eb

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I have curtains made from a quilt-like fabric that has a layer of reflective mylar sandwiched in the center. It blacks out light and is a great insulator.

eb

Where does one obtain this and how do you put it in place and keep it there?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I used Reflectix, I just cut it to fit the windows, it makes it very dark in the van.

How do you put it in place and keep it there? I currently use reflective window shades that I've cut, but no method of keeping them there works all that well, even velcro.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
How do you put it in place and keep it there? I currently use reflective window shades that I've cut, but no method of keeping them there works all that well, even velcro.

On the back windows I use a small piece of velcro at the top and bottom. For the windshield the bottom just rests on the dash and the top gets held in place with the sun visor. The pieces for the sides are closed in the doors with about half to 3/4 of an inch of the Reflectix sticking up by the B pillar. You will want to use an anti-fog wipe on the windows because the reflected heat will cause condensation. Right now I am using shorter pieces so the windows can be rolled down a little for air flow.

guido4475

Not a Member
A freind and I ordered window covers from e-bay, made of white vinyl, that go on the outside of the windshield, and wrap around and cover the side windows as well.By covering the outside of the windows, the amount of heat generated by the windows in the sun is greatly reduced,keeping the inside of the cab cooler.They attach on the inside of the doors when closed.They are around 53.00 for the whole thing, and are made speciffically for each kind of vehicle.Camping World has to order these, and are much more expensive from there.Pm me and I will get the name and address of the place we got them from.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
So, while on the outside of the vehicle, you open the passenger door, and put one end in the opening and close the door. Then you walk around the front with the other end so it wraps around the windshield and driver's door window, get in, closing the door on the end in your hand?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The ones that go on the outside just seem to me to be a potential PITA when it's raining or snowing and you get a call on which you have to quickly roll, then you gotta deal with dragging a wet tarp into the van.

These are what I use (also can be found here), but I have never been able to find them for regular vans. It is a 7-layer thermo insulation designed for an Italian company for NASA, and is the same thing used to insulate the Mars Rovers and other space vehicles. They come cut-to-fit for the Sprinter, and are secured with suction cups. They have a do-it-yourself kit for custom installations, but apparently that's been at least temporarily discontinued.

I've used (and carry with me) the two-piece black cab curtains that I got at Pilot I think. They work well enough. Not great in the summer because they are a heat magnet.

I learned a long time ago how to sleep when it's light out, so not having the inside of the van in total darkness doesn't bother me at all. I usually have the roof vent fan open anyway.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
i had mine made in Ft. Wayne, they made from theather material. super light weight and blocks out ALL the light, they glide on a track and take little space when you tie them back.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, here is what i have done and has worked fine for 4 yrs and it gets as dark as you want it...I drilled 4 holse in the "A pillar post interior moldoing as close to the top of the windsield as i could...I then stretched a 60 inch good quality bungie cord between to post across the windshield...then i hooked 2 30 inch bungie cords from the post to the "B" pillar behind the door opening and hooked it into the interior molding..

I then use a heavy full side bath towel in dark blue to hang over the side window cords (the towel is bigger enough that it hangs double off the cord and is wide enought that it can be "tucked' at the "B" pillar to black any light. I then use a Heavy "throw blanket" for a twin size bed and hang it over the ft cord across the van covering the windshield....it hangs double and will hand below to edge of the dask, lol, depending on how much "stuff" you have in the way....you can also tuck the top edge over the sunvisors and flip them up to take the blanket completely to the ceiling..

Now that is what I do now..As Guido pointed out, those Class "B" RV exterior windshield covers work great....you get "complete blockage of light day or night and you can still open the doors without taking it down. I will be putting on of those on the van real soon...As Guido said, it keep the glass from getting hot and that heat transferring into the van, to carry that 1 step further, i am thinking of having a piece of "reflexic" foil sewn to the outside of the cover to add more sun reflexion while sitting during the day...

Thanks for the E-bay idea Guido, Camper world wants and arm and a leg for them....

guido4475

Not a Member
Ok, here is what i have done and has worked fine for 4 yrs and it gets as dark as you want it...I drilled 4 holse in the "A pillar post interior moldoing as close to the top of the windsield as i could...I then stretched a 60 inch good quality bungie cord between to post across the windshield...then i hooked 2 30 inch bungie cords from the post to the "B" pillar behind the door opening and hooked it into the interior molding..

I then use a heavy full side bath towel in dark blue to hang over the side window cords (the towel is bigger enough that it hangs double off the cord and is wide enought that it can be "tucked' at the "B" pillar to black any light. I then use a Heavy "throw blanket" for a twin size bed and hang it over the ft cord across the van covering the windshield....it hangs double and will hand below to edge of the dask, lol, depending on how much "stuff" you have in the way....you can also tuck the top edge over the sunvisors and flip them up to take the blanket completely to the ceiling..

Now that is what I do now..As Guido pointed out, those Class "B" RV exterior windshield covers work great....you get "complete blockage of light day or night and you can still open the doors without taking it down. I will be putting on of those on the van real soon...As Guido said, it keep the glass from getting hot and that heat transferring into the van, to carry that 1 step further, i am thinking of having a piece of "reflexic" foil sewn to the outside of the cover to add more sun reflexion while sitting during the day...

Thanks for the E-bay idea Guido, Camper world wants and arm and a leg for them....

No problem whatsoever, Mr.Professional nationwide steakhouse quality control freight relocation expert!:D

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone tried those after-market big truck privacy curtains in a cargo van? Sure, there might be an excess of material, but that can always be remedied. I've never been able to make it as dark as I like inside when I'm sleeping.

It's alittle work but I go to a yarn store and buy black cloth. I had my neighbor sew a eye or seam across the top and put a (not sure what you call it) like a rubber band with 4 hooks. each end and one for each visor. No light. I gave two of them to my drivers and I kept one. Covers the side windows and the windshield.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Where does one obtain this and how do you put it in place and keep it there?

From a previous thread:
For cooling I would spend more effort on keeping the sun out and some kind of air circulation. If you plan on idling then, yes, a smaller area to cool is easier to cool. I'm working on a curtain for my windshield and front windows that has reflective plastic sheet (space blanket material) sandwiched between quilt batting. The inside side has a sun block fabric and on the outside I'm adding ironing board fabric. Something like this might work for you too. You can find the quilt material if you google "warm windows". I've seen magnets that would do the job. I have my curtain intalled with snaps.

eb

I made a paper pattern of a drivers and passenger side halves. It is shaped so it can hang straight down to the dash or tuck up against the windshield and reaches to the bottom of the windshield. I had someone with a sewing machine stitch everything together like a quilt. Each half hangs from the oem hanger hook on the door pillar and meet in the center of the windshield with about six inches of overlap and fastened with a strip of velcro. I originally used hardware snaps, but switched to the magnets. Three magnets above the side windows and six across the front. I used three quarter inch sized magnets.

Cupped Magnet Sets - Lee Valley Tools

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The ones that go on the outside just seem to me to be a potential PITA when it's raining or snowing and you get a call on which you have to quickly roll, then you gotta deal with dragging a wet tarp into the van.

These are what I use (also can be found here), but I have never been able to find them for regular vans. It is a 7-layer thermo insulation designed for an Italian company for NASA, and is the same thing used to insulate the Mars Rovers and other space vehicles. They come cut-to-fit for the Sprinter, and are secured with suction cups. They have a do-it-yourself kit for custom installations, but apparently that's been at least temporarily discontinued.

I've used (and carry with me) the two-piece black cab curtains that I got at Pilot I think. They work well enough. Not great in the summer because they are a heat magnet.

I learned a long time ago how to sleep when it's light out, so not having the inside of the van in total darkness doesn't bother me at all. I usually have the roof vent fan open anyway.

Think the wife just ordered me a set for my birthday!!!:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Think the wife just ordered me a set for my birthday!!!:D
You're gonna love 'em. Because they're thermal, you can have the windshield facing directly at the sun and all the heat just bounced back through the windshield. It'll also get you frost on the inside of the windows in the winter, too. It's really amazing just how thermal insulating they are. And, of course, they provide privacy, so as to not subject the entire parking lot to what goes on inside the Turtle Shell.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're gonna love 'em. Because they're thermal, you can have the windshield facing directly at the sun and all the heat just bounced back through the windshield. It'll also get you frost on the inside of the windows in the winter, too. It's really amazing just how thermal insulating they are. And, of course, the provide privacy, so as to not subject the entire parking lot to what goes on inside the Turtle Shell.

Thanks for that visual..and just at bedtime.....LOL