Bug removal

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Over the past three years I have tried about every product sold to remove bugs from the hood and grill of my van. All worked to some degree especially when accompanied with elbow grease but today I hit on the perfect fix and here it is.

Spray liberally with Greased Lightning and let it sit for 3-5 minutes, in the shade, then rub with on of those green 3M Scotch Brite Dobie pads, they are about 3x6" . The instant results were amazing and took little effort.

Hope this helps someone.
Anybody got a better way?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol along with scratching the heck out of clear coat i would think. I don't know what blue beacon uses in their water but they sure get the bugs off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Good idea. What I do is when I get a new truck I have the front Scotch Guarded. A little pricey (about $500 bucks for a C/Van) but never worry about rock damage, bugs or anything. Bugs wash right off. Most company's that apply camo or murals to trucks do it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Lol along with scratching the heck out of clear coat i would think. I don't know what blue beacon uses in their water but they sure get the bugs off.

They use a corrosive in the soap and it take the scotch guard off the minute it hits it.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
xiggi I am getting close to half a million miles on my van so I feel sure the clear coat is clear gone. I just want to get the bugs off as easily as possible when I am at home and this worked for me. I am glad this brought you lots of laughs.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glass cleaner cut it with 30% with isoprophil alcohol its an old detailers trick. Also your glass will be clean and no streaks.
If you do a proper dollup wash, polising compound, clearcoat cleaner, and 2 or 3 coats of good quality paste wax you shouldnt have a problem.
I use the following
Blue Corral blue car wash
Turtle wax #7 polish for faded and grungy looking paint
Trouble Shooter made by PRO can get it at most profesional detail suply shops...Good stuff.
PRO yellow cake wax for my cars and spring doll up on the truck
For the rest I use Trutle Wax paste wax 3 Coats keeps it looking good.
Clean all glass with isoprophil alcoholl then Rain ex 2 or 3 coats all glass and mirrors.
Remember only pollish and wax in the shade or you will ruin your paint.
Good luck

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We always just sprayed Stoners Invisible Glass glass cleaner on the hood let it soak in a bit and they could easily be scrubbed off. Most of the time when we switched driving Nick would spray the windshield and I could just use the wipers to remove the bugs and dirt with no scrubbing.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most of that stuff will take the wax off. We use a 50/50 mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide. Works great and is efforttless. Has said a good quality wax goes along way and the wax that is available nowdays is much, much better than the old stuff. There are gimmick waxes out there also. So be cautious.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I have used Totally Awesome Cleaner for bugs. Spray on and let it sit a few minutes while soaping up the rest of truck and they spray right off. You can get it for a buck at the dollar tree too!

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Trust me, we waxed ours but when your.driving through Texas in 100* heat, they bake on.