Books

Freebirdrfd

Rookie Expediter
Researching
What do you think would be a good book to read before buying my first truck, and putting a team in it?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Before this is answered, do you know anything about the expedite industry?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What do you think would be a good book to read before buying my first truck, and putting a team in it?
It's been a while since Diane and I worked the expediting trade, but I think it's safe to say that if you don't know life on the the road from experiencing it yourself, you are asking for major problems if you become a fleet owner. There is no book to read to develop this knowledge, and no series of articles, and no amount of EO study that would fill in this gap. I would know. I was a driver who used to write for Expedite Now.

Before Diane and I entered the trade, we poured endless hours into EO reading, fleet owner interviews, truck show attendance, and driver conversations. We were as prepared as anyone could be without previous experience. But even with all that, there is far, far more to learn about the life and the driver's experience. And the only way to learn it is to drive yourself.

If you enter this field as a fleet owner without experience, you will be operating blind. The drivers you contract with may easily eat your lunch, and you will be blindsided by risks an experienced fleet owner would instinctively see. .

Reactions: Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have 37 years of driving trucks, I have never owned one. The owner part, is what I’m looking to learn
That's a different situation than the one I addressed above. I asked ChatGPT your question and received the following response. If you have not yet discovered ChatGPT, look into it. It is a free resource that is beneficial in all domains of life.
======================

Transitioning from a truck driver to an owner/operator involves a blend of practical experience and business acumen. Here are some valuable resources to help you navigate this transition:

### **Educational Resources**

1. **Books**
- **“The Complete Guide to Trucking: How to Start Your Own Trucking Business” by Mike Duffy** – Offers a comprehensive overview of starting and running a trucking business.
- **“Trucking Business Basics: An Owner Operator’s Guide” by Gary H. Heine** – Focuses on the essentials of managing a trucking business.

2. **Online Courses and Webinars**
- **Freight Broker Boot Camp** – While primarily for freight brokers, it offers insights into the logistics and operational side of the trucking industry.
- **Coursera and Udemy** – Look for courses on small business management, logistics, or entrepreneurship.

3. **Industry Websites and Forums**
- **TruckersReport** – A community forum where experienced owner/operators share advice and tips.
- **ExpeditersOnline** – Focuses on various aspects of the trucking business, including owner/operator advice.

### **Business Planning and Management**

1. **Small Business Administration (SBA)**
- Offers resources on creating a business plan, securing funding, and managing a small business. Their website has guides tailored for trucking businesses.

2. **Local Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs)**
- Provide free consulting and low-cost training services, including business planning and financial management.

3. **Business Plan Templates**
- Look for templates specific to the trucking industry to help you draft a comprehensive plan.

### **Financial and Legal Considerations**

1. **Accounting Software**
- **QuickBooks** – Popular among small business owners for managing finances, including expense tracking, invoicing, and tax preparation.

2. **Insurance Providers**
- Research providers like Progressive or OOIDA (Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association) for commercial trucking insurance.

3. **Legal Resources**
- **Nolo.com** – Offers books and guides on legal issues for small businesses, including contracts and liability concerns.

### **Networking and Mentorship**

1. **Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA)**
- Provides resources, support, and advocacy for owner/operators. They also offer educational materials and networking opportunities.

2. **Local Trucking Associations**
- Join local or regional trucking associations to connect with other owner/operators and attend industry events.

3. **LinkedIn Groups**
- Join groups related to trucking and logistics to network with professionals and learn from their experiences.

### **Technology and Tools**

1. **Truck Management Apps**
- **KeepTruckin** and **Samsara** – Help with fleet management, compliance, and tracking.

2. **Load Boards**
- **DAT Load Board** and **Truckstop.com** – Useful for finding loads and understanding market rates.

By utilizing these resources, you’ll gain a better understanding of the business aspects of being an owner/operator and be better prepared to manage the challenges and opportunities that come with running your own trucking business.

Reactions: Freebirdrfd