Batteries

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
I know Igot plenty of time omn my hands today. I suggest that those who can mainly the people who run vans, try using marine batteries in your truck, I found that these batteries are very strong and can take a load of load and charging. I own a 33 feet Chris Craft and the battery that I run in my van now use in that boat. The battery is over 4 years old,it sat in the boat two winters and used regular all four summers. The boat has a charger in it,when the boat is dock the batteries are being charge,this when on for four years. The battery is in my van now and I have left ligths on,radio on,and you name it,and it still spins that chevy over like an egg mixers.Of course I go for the highest COLD CRANKING AMPS I can find. Oh well let me go down stairs and see how the turkey is doing. Hawk

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Nothing wrong with Marine battteries, but you also need to consider the amps provided as well as the amp hours that you are going to be using. That's why I elected to go with golf cart batteries. I run a cooler 24 x 7, cb, qualcom, tv/vcr, microwave and sometimes a small heater and there is normally adequate amp hours for the night. These batteries are seperate from the starting battery but receive their charge from the starting battery. Starting battery is always close to full strength.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I DON'T THINK I HAVE THE NEED FOR EXTRA BATTERIES,THE 4 THAT I HAVE NOW SEEM TO BE DOING THE TRICK,BUT IF I DID NEED THE SET UP YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT I'D BUY A DELCO BOAT BATTERY CAUSE I BOUGHT A USED DELCO BOAT BATT.(CRANKING) FOR 2.00 AT A GAS STATION WHEN I WAS IN A PINCH FOR A BATTERY FOR MY CAR A LONG TIME AGO,LATER I GOT A CAR BATT. AND PUT THE OLD DELCO IN THE GARAGE FOR A COUPLE YEARS, BOUGHT A NEW BOAT AND WANTED DUAL BATTS. SO I USED THE DELCO AGAIN! IT HELD A CHARGE AND TOOK A CHARGE BETTER THAN THE INTERSTATE THAT CAME WITH THE BOAT,SO I UPGRADED TO A LARGER INTERSTATE AND THE DELCO STILL OUT PREFORMED THE NEW BATT. SO THIS IS JUST MY OPINION,I DON'T WORK FOR DELCO, AS A MATTER OF FACT I SOLD THE BOAT AND MY PRIZE BATT. WENT WITH THE DEAL! TAKE CARE SHARP327

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
You don't have to tell me about a marine battery,they are the toughest battery you will ever own.I go around to the boat yard and get the batteries that the rich guys use for one season because the boat shops tell them they need to change every year due to the 24/7 charging that the battery gets.Well these batteries have plenty of life in them to power a truck,plus they got those cool post with the wing nuts on them so that you can run wire to for acc. Hawk