Aux. heater on Sprinters

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
There is a factory installed aux. heater available on Sprinters. Has this option been out long enough for anyone to try it? If so, how well does it work? Would I be better off with the Espar heater? Any input on this unit would be very helpful. Thanks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually the Aux heater that is installed is an Espar (or a correct name is Eberspächer) heater. I think it is a model D5W in the Sprinter and is very well proven outside of the US. It is a water heater. Eberspächer makes a lot of heaters, both for water and air and both gas and diesel.

If you want to really get some heat, you can get an Eberspächer heater for a Unimog or a gas winter heater for a MB38A1 jeep. I had both and the Unimog heater did really well to about 10 degrees but the MB38A1 heater always put out too much heat and always cracked the windshield. It even heated my friend’s cabin for a few years, no matter what the temps were, it was 70 plus in the cabin. Used a lot of fuels though.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the reply. It sorta looked like an Espar in the literature. Looks like I can get one either way then.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
There are two different heaters offered for the Sprinter. Both are Espar heaters. One is a water heater and the other is an air heater. You can get both. The water heater is to preheat the anti-freeze inorder to allow you to start your engine warm. The air heater is to warm the cabin without going through the Sprinter's vents, fan, or cooling system.