anybody moving out there?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Last week we did a grand total of one load for $450 gross to the truck.

The two preceding weeks were very busy and very strong, forming one of the best two-week periods we have had in nearly six years in the business. It was like the water went drip, drip, drip, then the fire hydrant came on, and then back to drip, drip, drip.

Year to date, our run count is down 26.5 percent and gross revenue is down 28.8 percent from year-ago levels. 2008 performance was down about 20 percent from 2007, which was our best year ever in the business.

Nevertheless, 2008 was an acceptably profitable year and even in 2009, we are seeing our bank account grow (as in real money in a real bank). That is happening because we used our 2007 and 2008 profits to pay off the truck and build cash reserves. The reserves give us the ability today to avoid money-losing runs that provide desperation cash needed to pay bills today but erode wealth over time.

That does not mean we are not frustrated. We are as eager for more loads and revenue as everyone else. One of our goals is to pay cash for our next truck. While that purchase is several years away, we want to be building truck-replacement cash at a faster rate than we are now. Until business picks up, we remain focused on our goals and try to make the best load acceptance and money management decisions we can make to achieve what we seek to achieve.

Back to your question, "anybody moving out there?" yes we are. Sometimes it is a little, sometimes it is a lot. This is different than prior years when the freight was more stable.

In this market, it is essential to be in service, available and ready to run hard at a moment's notice. You never know when the hydrant will come on again and how long the flow will last. When it does, it is not something you want to miss. Had we missed the two exceptionally strong weeks mentioned above, our year would be noticeably weaker than it is now.

The slower flow of freight is not a reason to go home. It is a reason to stay out.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
8 loads in 7 days. been from ND to NJ and Va....so yea freight is moving abd ut has been for me since i went back in service the 3rd week of Feb.....:D

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
We have been moving very well from the known "Hot Spot" express centers and even getting good paying loads.

On the other hand, we are absolutely dying at other express centers that are traditionally OK.

Conclusion: It appears that at this time, it is vital for drivers to use their experience and knowledge of "their" best frieght areas to deadhead sooner and further than in the past.
The quicker dispatch at a higher rate will defray the cost of the move.
At a time where some may be inclined to DH less in order to lower expenses, it may actually be more profitable to DH more. That is if and only IF you know where the Hot areas are for your company and your truck/van.

As another member might say "that is just my penny in the pond"

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are moving pretty darn well. 3-4 loads per week and our Pay per mile continues to be higher than last year and the difference is increasing. We have a load for Monday, a little shorty, we will see what happens. We did the same thing last week. Ran a short run on Monday followed up by two good long good paying runs the ate up the rest of the week. Layoutshooter

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yep...moving here, except for this weekend got a load from Houston, TX to Akron, OH then got a run from West Middlesex, PA to Laredo, TX. ended up with over 2100 miles for the week. Last week wasn't bad either, but had to book a backhaul to keep moving.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
We left home on the 5th of May.We are on our 7th run.For this time of year,my run count is a little lower,but I've had more time off than usual.Dead head is higher,so overall money per mile is lower,but still operating in the black.

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
Ontario Vanman are you still with Dynamax?
I own a straight truck, and due to a burning accident to my right arm I can't drive it anymore, hoping to get into the cargo van, and don't know if spriter better, well you give me some advice on the van and on working with Dynamax?you can reach me at [email protected]
thanks in advance

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sounds like you doing better then me riding second seat.

That won't be for long Niter.

The economy may be slow but I have not yet got home.

Its been since Jan when I left. The runs for the week still not changed from when I seen you in Louisville KY.
Today is Sat.

One of two things is happening either its the economy or a RIF.

I'm in Carters-ville GA. and I met Mr W today.

Well, the economy got to pickup that big scare of the flu bug was just to get the public minds off the Politicians so to speak.

What we need to-do is clean house, I believe no more than 8 years max for any Senator or Congressman.
Retirement for them, Nope If they do 8 years they get 1,300 a month - there medical and dental coverage Providing they stay as public servants for the remaining years adding up to 20 then if they do that they get the said 1,300.00 a month - medical and dental, at the 20 years. IF They don't then they don't get squat. by the way no grandfathering this neither as of retroactive today make it so, so any one not hit there 20 year mark don't get diddly.
So they do 8 years max if they get in, then they are out no pay but have to do 2 days a week public service away from home to get any type of retirement or benefits. If they don't they don't get squat. So they can work out here with the public 5 days a week then do public service or community on the weekends.
Ha joke right nope I'M not kidding.

You know how much money that would save in its self
not having to pay those guys.
Also the new pay system would be no more than the base of a GS 12 step 1 for the first 4 then a GS 12 Step 2 for the second 4 years while serving as a congressman or senator during there active terms then nothing after that till they fulfill there remaining years as public servants 2 days a week. Oh I guess we could pay them 2 days Service pay but no Peridium and they would have to have a Time card stamped no more pay then a GS 12. with Two 8 hour days only. Now how many would want to get into political office.

You say it wont work. We would save a lot of money.

By the way Lobbyist doesn't qualify for public servant duty.

Don't say it wont work shoot this might cause those knuckle heads to work to together for the good of us the People vice lining their own pockets.

Something to think about.

BTW it costs a lot of money to fly the speaker of the house and Friends to CA and back every weekend.
Let her be a Geo bachelor and stay in Washington then when her term is done 4 yr 8yr what ever she can go home.
As the public don't pay for that neither.
OOOHHH HIT A NERVE.

Just calling a spade a spade.
This whole economy and the industry is like an upside down pyramid waiting to crumble.
you cant have more Chiefs than Indians so to speak.
Nor can the Gov't keep Printing Money that has no backing.
Thats just like a tractor trailer doing runs for a dollar a mile so to speak, the only one that is going broke is the man doing them as neither the company nor the Shipper is. They are making out.

Oh what an upside down world we live in.
In fuel is now 2.50 a gallon then Corn and Beans should be 5 dollars a bushel. (Thats being sold over seas)

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I don't think *any*one is still with Dynamex anymore. Last I heard, many of the dispatchers, most of the OOs, the recruiter, the safety person, the accounting person, the driver relations person... virtually *every*one had gone.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
3 loads, 2325 miles. [And another perfect Level 1 inspection! :D] But don't feel too bad, Inkasnana, I've had weeks like yours too, and you will have better ones ahead - but you already know that, right? :)

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
3 loads, 2325 miles. [And another perfect Level 1 inspection! :D] But don't feel too bad, Inkasnana, I've had weeks like yours too, and you will have better ones ahead - but you already know that, right? :)

What a great week for you Cheri! YAY! :D And yeah, I know things will get better. Just having a bummed moment. lol

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
this was a good week for me to 1600 miles for the week

Falligator

Expert Expediter
<<Contemplating goin for Pizza Hut or Taco Bell.....still sittin at Olive Branch Flyin J. now #2 was #1 a darn 1st out came in today. So now what.:confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you are sitting over at Olive Branch J, walk over past the bar and get some BBQ form the carry out place, it isn't the greatest but it is good or head over to the bar and have a drink or two of a soda and some wings. DO NOT EAT THEIR CAT FISH.