About Half-Done, I Reckon

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I purchased our truck new in June, 2006. Last night, the odometer passed 750,000 miles.

We love the truck as much today as when it was first put in service and would change very little if we were able to do the custom build over again. It still happens every now and then that someone asks, "Is that truck new?" That always makes us smile.

The truck has never been on the hook (towed). There have been no major repairs, unless you count $3,000 for EGR replacement a major repair. The truck runs like a top. Fuel economy and oil consumption are holding steady. Oil analysis reports from the lab continue to come back good.

When building this truck, we spec'ed it to last ten years and planned to get one million miles out of it. We are now six years toward ten and 750,000 miles toward one million. So far, so good.

I say "about half-done" in this post title because with one million miles getting closer every day, 1.5 million does not seem unrealistic. We have been diligent in preventative maintenance and fixing the little things before they become big things, and will continue to do the same.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Those numbers are not out of line for a well maintained truck. I would think that 1.5 million is not at all too much to expect from a well maintained class 8 engine that has never pulled more than 50,000 lbs.

With that said, you are nearing the lifespan of many of the peripheral parts on the engine. The water pump, a/c compressor, fan clutch, etc, etc are all nearing the end of their lifespan. I would throw injectors and possibly the turbo on that list also. Fuel lines can and do deteriorate also.

These are things you might want to research or put some thought into (I'm sure you already have). Most of those things are relatively inexpensive to replace if done before they fail (not as an emergency while under load).

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I bought new class 8 trucks for me to drive in 87,91,97,98,01,04. The EGR in the 04 caused me to buy an 01 that I drove very trouble free til last year.
It was nerve- wracking to buy a 2012.
So many horror stories about new engines.
We turned 100,000 miles this week in just under 8 months. 4 1/2 hrs in the shop for an engine recall/ update. Thats it. No repairs to the sleeper,reefer,or box. No other Volvo repairs.
Very satisfied.
Congrats Phil. New trucks are often a crap-shoot.
Sounds like you got a good one. With your high maint standards I see 1.5 millions easy.
Know a guy with 3 million plus on his 84 Pete.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
My last class 8 rig was sold at 1.1 million. It also was a Volvo w/a Cummins. The only problem I had was at 800K the left front hub went out. The shop said that's the expected lifespan. Again that was the shop talking. I replaced both with a tab of $3k. No problems with the engine at all, did replace the Turbo @ 700k but did that because I've never had one go much longer and did'nt want it going on the road. Other than a KW I think they have a good cab, being steel makes the difference. I have two lease Petes now running, I love a 379 Pete but theres no room in the cab especially for a team.